10 Easy Ways Live More Green Today
I did not become a Green Granola Catholic all at once. I have been making small changes all along.
- Bring your own water bottle – I have recently seen aluminum bpa free water bottles for as little as a $5. If you buy one of these it will pay for itself in a about a week.
- Use a ceramic travel mug for your coffee. I recently got one for under $3. Not the prettiest color in my opinion but hey it was under $3.
- Get a programmable thermostat. No need to cool or heat a house when you are not home.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Buy less stuff, reuse or repurpose what you have, and then lastly recycle.
- Wash laundry in the cold cycle.
- Check your insulation. Do you have enough? Most homes do not. If you can see the rafters you DO not have enough. Experts recommend 18” of insulation.
- Turn off the lights. Really do you need so many lights on? Do I sound like my father now? If you don’t want to turn off the lights at least get some compact fluorescent bulbs or check out the next generation, LED lights
- Use a clothesline. This saves on energy all around
- Buy local food if you can. Farmer’s Markets are a great resource if you have access to one.
- Use Natural Cleaners.- you can even make your own.