10 Greatest Romantic Movie Scenes for Valentine's Day
My husband and I are big movie fans, and though we don't get out like we used to, we spend our fair share of time on Netflix. Love stories aren't really his cup of tea, but they're mine. So in honor of Valentine's Day I'm sharing my favorite romantic moments from the big screen. This is your gift, honey. You're so very welcome.
1. The Austrian Lindler Folk Dance from The Sound of Music. This is the moment Maria and Captain Von Trapp realize what they have is more than your typical governess/naval-captain-whistle-blowing-Nazi-rejector relationship.
NEXT: Squirrel -->
2. Carl and Ellie's love story from Up. There's very little dialogue in this scene. There doesn't need to be.
3. A kiss in the rain from The Notebook. All that time apart. All that love. The reconnection. Ryan Gosling.
4. The boombox scene in Say Anything. Show me a girl in 1989 who didn't want a guy standing outside her window blaring Peter Gabriel and I'll show you a girl who never saw this movie.
5. The birthday scene in A Beautiful Mind. This whole movie wins because a love story that endures mental illness is about as romantic as you can get.
Nash: "You once said that God must be a painter because he gave us so many colors."
Alicia: "I didn't think you were listening..."
Nash: "I was listening."
A man who listens? Swoon.
6. The last few minutes of Good Will Hunting is a happy ending like no other and oh-so-dreamy. It also doesn't even show either member of the couple on whom the romantic storyline is based. This is me, throwing you a romantic curveball.
7. I know these are kids, but they grow up and get married. They love each other their WHOLE LIVES, you guys! So, even though Mel Gibson is a little whack-a-doodle, this scene from Braveheart steals my heart.
8. A love you have to let go. Ouch, Castaway. Just ouch. Also, more rain. I have a thing for water.
9. I'm not a huge Tim Burton fan, but the epic beauty and storytelling in Big Fish is delightful. It's one of my favorite films and this sweeping romantic gesture and field of daffodils makes me weepy.
10. This scene from Far and Away is the reason I was crushed when Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman got divorced.
Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! I hope you find the time to curl up and watch a love story this week.