10 Interior Design Trends for 2014
Can you believe that January 2014 is almost over?! This year came fast, and is already starting to fly by. With a new year, comes new ideas, goals, designs, inspirations, etc. This year, I have seen several interior design trends already begin. I wanted to share with you the trends I'm seeing and think will be huge for 2014.
1. Technology, technology, technology! We live an age where technology is driving the way we live. So don't be shocked to see more USB outlets in your home, charging stations, Smart homes, etc.
2. 50 Shades of Blue: Yes, blue. Designers and homeowners are still using and wanting to use varying shades of blues in the home this years. Pantone included 3 shades of blue in the 2014 Spring Color Report. I believe it's because we are a society that works long hours and when we go home, we need a place to relax, and blue is a calming color.
3. Metallics: Add a little shine and pop in a room with metallics, and do not be afraid of mixing the metals. Yes, mix the metals! It's not taboo do so.
4. Traditional Design: A return to traditional design is becoming more and more popular. I saw this evident in several furniture showrooms at High Point in October--many new introductions were traditional inspired designs.
5. Bejeweled Tones such as Turquoise & Pantone's Color of the Year, Radiant Orchid. These are great ways to add a spark of energy in any space.
6. Hair on Hide: While this trend never went out of style for us Texans, it's becoming increasingly popular this year. I saw in most all showrooms at High Point, at least one piece that hair on hide. And don't think of your traditional, rustic hair on hide, we are seeing hair on hide on modern, contemporary pieces.
7. Free-standing tubs: Add a little architectural detail in your bathroom, with a gorgeous free-standing tub.
8. Where does the outdoors begin? Furniture companies creating outdoor furniture pieces that look like they belong indoors.
9. Marbled print: Whether it's tone on tone marble print or a combination of several hues, marbled print is being seen on the walls or in upholstery.
10. LED Lighting: With incandescent lights fading out due to codes and consumers disappointed in the fluorescent bulbs coloring, LED's are making their way to the forefront in in-home lighting. LED's are now available for can-lights and decorative lighting companies are beginning to embrace this life-long light and incorporate them into their designs.
More Like This
Recent Posts by Design Perspective
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Home & Garden
Recent Comments on Home & Garden