10 Signs You Are the Mother of Girls
Growing up, I had three younger brothers. Actually, I still have three younger brothers. What I'm getting at is that I did not have a sister, even though I asked my mom if I could please exchange my youngest brother for a girl when he came home from the hospital. I had no idea what having a sister would be like since my world as a child was largely populated by boys and their rough-and-tumble ways. I escaped into my room to play with my dolls or do girlie things, and they had absolutely no interest in joining me.
I really thought I would just be the mom of boys -- I knew boys, I could deal with boys. But I ended up with three girls instead, and since I never had a sister of my own, some things have been a little surprising, to say the least.
1. You have an insatiable need to dress your girls in matching outfits as much as possible. And even when they're starting to grow out of it, you insist on making at least their Christmas and Easter dresses match to some extent. (Oh yes, I just bought Christmas dresses today!)
2. You can do at least two full loads of laundry that contain only pink clothing each week.
3. The arrival of the American Girl Doll catalog in the mail is the most exciting event of the month.
4. You know everything about the latest teen heartthrob (Ross Lynch) and the boy band du jour (One Direction). Not because you want to, but because your daughters talk about it incessantly.
5. Your children have complete meltdowns over whether or not they will curl their hair for church. Because curling hair means hairspray and "I HATE HAIRSPRAY but I WANT to curl my hair but I DON'T WANT TO USE HAIRSPRAY!" There are similar meltdowns over shoes, dresses, room cleaning, and oh, HAIR.
6. You're used to emotional fluctuations that go from sheer ecstasy to the depths of despair in about 1.8 seconds.
7. When your children discover the snail infestation in their grandparents' yard, they build a snail house, name the snails, and even try to kiss them. Because, "Awwwwww Mommy, look how sweeeeeeeeeet they are!" (Shudder.)
8. You do fifty million loads of laundry a week, not because your children are particularly dirty, but because they wear twenty outfits a day.
9. Your office is usually sparkling. Not sparkling clean, just sparkling with all of the glitter projects your daughters have been doing in there.
10. You get hugs and kisses and cuddles every day from three of the sweetest (if also the most dramatic) girlies on the planet. AND they all love to watch Pride & Prejudice with you. What a lucky woman you are.
I was inspired to write this post because I read this one: 10 Signs You're a Mom of Boys.