40 things to do before I'm 40
By gracefulmess on April 23, 2014
I'm a goal-oriented person. At least I'd like to think that I am.
I have always had career-minded goals. Professional goals.
I've had personal aspirations and dreams.
As a wife there are certain things that my husband and I wish to accomplish.
As parents we have goals for our children.
As homeowners, we have projects and plans for our home.
I also have to-do lists. Everywhere.
And never-going-to-be-finished lists.
And oops-I-forgot-to-do-that lists.
They all tend to go hand in hand, especially when it comes to parenting and household management. Think about all of the never-ending cycles of cleaning, dishes, and laundry.
There was a time when I viewed my goals and to-do lists very similarly. Things either checked off as they were done or looming out there somewhere in the distance and somewhat unattainable. Lofty, even.
This all changed a bit when I had my most recent birthday. I realized on that day that 40 wasn't an age that was way out there in the distant future. It was coming pretty quickly. In December I turned 38 and ever since then I've been mulling this idea over in my head and considering the best way to approach 40.
So I decided to do something somewhat cliché and make a "bucket list". And naturally since I have a blog, I thought I would garner a little community support and perhaps inspire you to do something similar.
I think that goals are important at any age and any stage...so today, I wish to share with you the 40 things I hope to do before I am 40:
- Try something new every day
- Climb Mt. Katahdin
- Take a random weekend trip with my family – just pack our bags and drive
- Go whale watching
- Learn to can veggies
- Learn to make jelly/preserves
- Learn to kayak in fast water
- Write the book that has been on my heart and submit to a publisher
- Run a 10K
- Run a half-marathon
- Make my goal weight of 135
- For 30 days – cut out all processed foods
- Take dance lessons with my husband
- Learn how to sew
- Learn to make sushi
- Teach the children to prepare a meal from scratch
- Teach my husband to prepare a meal from scratch
- Get to know my neighbors better
- Take golf lessons
- Learn to fly fish
- Go ice fishing
- Save at least 3 months’ salary
- Take a photography class
- Write a letter to 5 people that have impacted my life
- Help someone else achieve their dream
- Be able to do 5 pull-ups
- Start a side business doing something I love
- Memorize scripture
- Do one random act of kindness each week
- Surprise my kids
- Surprise my husband
- Take a new way home from time to time
- Visit New York City with my family and attend a Broadway show
- Read 5 classic novels
- Go 48 hours without technology (computer, iPhone, iPad)
- Give a speech in front of a large group of people
- Volunteer for a cause on a regular basis
- Plan a party in someone else's honor
- Get my Passport and travel out of the country
- Keep a journal
Some of these goals scare me a bit because they are way out of my comfort zone. Some are things that I've always wanted to do but never really took the time to do. Some will take some planning and some I would just like to begin incorporating into my everyday life.
I hope to accomplish as much of this list as I can before I'm 40. I have 20 months or so to give it it a shot.
I am more afraid of regret than I am of failure.
I don't want to look back on this time of my life and wish that I had done more or made better use of my time. Sometimes all it takes is to see things down on paper in front of us to get things started.
I'll be updating this list from time to time as things are checked off. I'd love for you to follow along. I'd really love for you to join in with your own list.
I hope you can stick with me through this journey. Follow along on the Graceful Mess Facebook page... and here.
Should you decide to join me, why not let me know?
Jennifer Collins is a Graceful Mess.
Living a messy life, full of grace.
More Like This
Recent Posts by gracefulmess
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Work/Life