5 Overlooked Reasons to Eat Plant-Strong
By ElizabethBorelli on May 02, 2014
Research published in the New England Journal of Medicine predicts today’s kids to be the first generation to experience a shorter life expectancy if the rising obesity rates don’t begin to reverse. Scary stuff to be sure. Yet while growing diet-related disease rate is the most obvious result of a standard American diet, it isn’t the only issue at stake.
There are so many smart reasons to improve your eating habits beyond just the amazing personal health benefits. Issues involving water conservation, greenhouse gas emissions, and even the national economy are becoming more prominent as new societal challenges emerge.
All of these issues connect back to the food on your plate.
So why not start making changes that make sense not just for your health, but for everyone on the planet?
Here are 5 great reasons to go meatless:
- Conserve water! The amount of water required in beef production drastically outweighs all other foods.
- Fight global warming! 18% of all global human-induced greenhouse gas emissions come from animal product production.
- Reduce your risk of some major diseases. Meat and meat products are linked to a variety of health problems. And, according to the American Dietetic Association, “a vegetarian diet may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases.”4
- Fight pollution! Factory farm animal waste and runoff (water contamination from the thousands of pounds of manure produced each day are a major source of air and water pollution. Just drive along some highways in California and you’ll encounter miles and miles of firsthand experience of the air pollution part.
- Get healthy! A 2010 American Society for Nutrition report shows that 96% of us are fiber-deficient, eating too few legumes and whole grains while surpassing recommended daily allowances on meat and dairy products for optimal health.
So take a stand! On Monday, April 21st, join me and 5,000 other Americans in taking the US VegWeek 7-Day VegPledge. You'll be in good company: 65+ federal, state, and local elected officials — including US Senator Cory Booker and 14 US Representatives — are taking the pledge too. Vegan athletes such as Olympian Seba Johnson and NFL player David Carter are also on board to keep you inspired.
Join the fun, after all, it’s just a week… - Click here to take the pledge!
Subscribe to my Health, Happiness and Vitality e-Newsletter
More Like This
Recent Posts by ElizabethBorelli
Most Popular on BlogHer
Save time, money and space with the FoodSaver® Vacuum Sealing System! AND it keeps food fresh up to 5x longer! Read our bloggers' experiences with the FoodSaver® System and see why you should get one for your home. Plus get a chance to win $100 Visa gift card! Read more
Most Popular on Health
Recent Comments on Health
By habit reCode