5 Things I Learned from Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter
By ewenstrom on June 25, 2012
Featured Member Post
The premise of Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter is pretty straightforward. This enlightening work of historical fiction follows Abraham Lincoln’s rise to power and struggle for the nation and freedom for all. And also, he’s a vampire hunter.
How could this possibly not be awesome?
Image courtesy of FOX
I had high expectations for this movie, and I was not disappointed. This is a movie that knows exactly what it is, and delivers on it with enthusiasm. It's an action-packed ride filled with cool monsters, juicy fight scenes, campy thrills and entertaining brushes with historical figures.
Bonus: there are a few moments where the light throws just right and Benjamin Walker looks eerily like the real guy. Or at least, how he would have looked if he really was brooding under the burden of destroying all the vampires in the country.
See also: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
The Top 5 Things I learned from Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter:
1. History is more interesting when it integrates the latest pop culture trends.
2. Saying “It’s a metaphor” while rolling your eyes is a quick way to come off as deep, feel superior, and pressure your husband into going to awful things he hates.
3. Vampires have pretty damn good reflexes, and they do not give a damn about slavery.*
4. There are some things that are just more awesome on film, even if the book did come first.
5. The best Presidents are also action heroes.
*Unless we are talking about enslaving humans to serve vampires. This they support, as seen in True Blood.
More Like This
Recent Posts by ewenstrom
Most Popular on BlogHer