5 Tips for Making Exercise a Daily Habit
By MLemley on January 22, 2013
Most of us know we need to exercise and we truly enjoy walking, but we just can’t seem to find the time. How do we make it a reality and finally start incorporating exercise into our lifestyle? Check out these 5 tips for making exercise a daily habit:
- 1. Be ready. Always keep a pair of walking shoes and socks at work, in the car, or by the door at home. You never know when you can squeeze in a 10-15 minute walk.
- 2. Dress appropriately. Select comfortable clothing that allows you plenty of room to move your arms and legs. Make sure you have a good pair of well-fitting walking shoes as well. Replace your shoes every six months or so depending on how often you use them. You may need to replace them sooner if they are showing signs of wear.
- 3. Make it enjoyable. Try listening to your favorite music, podcast, or book while you are walking. Or simply make your walks an opportunity to explore your neighborhood, a local park or sanctuary.
- 4. Mall-walk. Walking indoors eliminates the "bad-weather" excuse. It is also an excellent and usually convenient place to meet people who enjoy walking too. Make sure you leave your wallet behind or you may be tempted to stop and shop!
- 5. Grab a walking buddy. Having a walking partner gives you a reason to show up. It makes you more accountable. Most of us will be less likely to skip our walk if we know a friend is waiting on us. Plus it can make the walk more interesting. Not sure how to find a walking partner? One great place to start is a recreation center or your local mall. Most will already have a walking club in place. If not, why not start your own?
Remember the best exercise is the exercise you do!
Be the Path!
Follow BlogHer on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/BlogHer-28615