6 Reasons Diandra Douglas (or her publicist) Is Wrong About HPV
By Nurse Gail on June 04, 2013
Michael Douglas’ ex-wife wants you to know that she does not have HPV. I want you to know that kind of ignorant statement is why fear and stigma persist regarding sexual health. Here is why Diandra’s declaration is bunk:
- There is no test to identify HPV in the mouth/throat or rectum. HPV can come and go (and be passed to others) between cervical testing gaps.
- There is no test to determine if someone has previously been infected with and cleared the virus.
- There are no signs or symptoms in 90% of people with HPV infections.
- Diandra (Luker) Douglas was 19 when she married Michael who was 32. Even if their marriage was free from infidelity, the CDC reports “HPV is so common that nearly all sexually-active men and women get it at some point in their lives. This is true even for people who only have sex with one person in their lifetime.”
- Diandra filed for divorce in 1997. 13 years later Michael announced his cancer diagnosis. It takes approximately 10-15 years for an HPV infection to result in cancer.
- There are too many variables for Diandra to declare never having HPV.
Please don’t make the same mistake Diandra made. To deny having had HPV shows a profound lack of education and awareness. Learn more about HPV here: Michael Douglas HPV | Oral Sex | Oropharyngeal Cancer and Girl Talk with Nurse Gail | HPV and Pap Guidelines | Cervical Cancer.
More Like This
Recent Posts by Nurse Gail
Most Popular on BlogHer
Mom has a lot to check off her list this Summer, and Kellogg's cereal can help her get it done. How will you make the most of your Summer? Check out our blog posts as we share with you inspirational ideas for celebrating the moments of magic that will happen during this activity-filled time of year! PLUS enter for a chance to win as $100 Walmart gift card! Read more
Most Popular on Pop Culture
Recent Comments on Pop Culture