6 Ways to Find Time for Creativity During the Holidays
By ewenstrom on December 17, 2012
Featured Member Post
It's that time of year when family, friends, and parties take over, and no amount careful planning can stop the disruption to your routine. Happy holidays!
But just because your usual creative time is now slotted for Christmas cocktails and your in-laws are sleeping in your work space is no reason to despair.
Put that creative brain of yours to work, and you'll find there's plenty of ways to get around these obstacles.
1. Get up early/stay up late. You're probably getting less sleep than usual anyway.
2. "Sleep in." Hide in your room a little while after you wake up to squeeze in a little time on your work in progress.
3. Go for a walk. Over Thanksgiving, having to take my puppy out every few hours ended up being a great time to clear my head and reflect.
4. Plan a creative activity for the family. If you can't beat them, join them. Can't get away? Why not do something creatively stimulating together? Cook, do a craft, decorate the house.
5. Carry it with you. I've talked before about carrying a notebook, and I'll say it again. When I can't have my computer with me, I at least have something to write on. If you have a few minutes waiting in line for Santa, use them.
6. Play hookie. You'd definitely be missed at the big Christmas dinner, but do you really need to be at the movie, where everyone is sitting in silence in the dark? You may be able to miss a thing or two without really missing out.
The most important thing to remember may be to let go and enjoy. There's a reason there's so much activity this time of year, so don't be a grinch, too obsessed with your own work to be part of the merriment. After all, how good can your art be if you aren't taking time to live?
Tell me ... how do you stay creative during the holidays?
More Like This
Recent Posts by ewenstrom
Most Popular on BlogHer
Save time, money and space with the FoodSaver® Vacuum Sealing System! AND it keeps food fresh up to 5x longer! Read our bloggers' experiences with the FoodSaver® System and see why you should get one for your home. Plus get a chance to win $100 Visa gift card! Read more
Most Popular on Career
Recent Comments on Career
By Just Beet It