Made any healthy changes lately?
Have you stuck with them?
Creating healthier habits is not an easy task 100% of the time. Some are easy. Some take time. Some, like keeping to a workout schedule for many people – can be difficult no matter how long you are at it. First, stop trying to make too many changes at once. That can be overwhelming and lead to wanting to give up on all of it. Living greener and eating cleaner can be easy and fun. Then there is the pressure – the pressure you put on yourself to do it all, and do it all perfectly. This is not about perfection – this is about creating your life – in a happy & healthy way – on your own terms.
Here are some tips to get you there:
- 15 minutes. Sit down for 15 minutes once a week – usually a Saturday or Sunday – and plan out your exercise schedule and meal plan for the week. This will help you save time and money – along with making sure you get in that workout that you might think you have no time for.
- Tea time. Create a ritual after dinner “tea-time”. Keep it herbal, something relaxing like chamomile, or cleansing, like pau d’ arco. The human body instinctually likes daily rituals, it is comforting and will also help you get ready for #3.
- Sleep. Getting a good night’s sleep is one of the major ways to kick stress to the curb and boost your immune system. Keep it slow and relaxing after dinner, not over stimulating. Go to bed at the same time each evening, and wake up at the same time each morning.
- Move. I know that you intend to work out, but sometimes it just doesn’t happen, does it? Make sure to do #1 so you can schedule it in. Now, what are you doing to move your body? There are many options out there – do what feels good to you – BUT, make sure to challenge yourself once in a while. You might be pleasantly surprised.
- Buy real food. Make the list of real food – unprocessed, basic food like brown rice, chicken, fish, lean cuts of beef, fresh vegetables and fruit, nuts and seeds – larger than the list of packaged foods. Create meals from the basics, not from a box.
- Read labels – on everything. I am not just talking food labels. Begin to be more aware of what is in your skin and hair products. When you clean the house, check to see what’s in that bottle, and how you feel with those chemical fumes? Making small changes to lighten your toxic load can go very far in creating a healthier home.
- Let it go. Life happens, and many times it sucks. Be mindful of the moment and let go the thoughts that do not serve you. Life is to be lived – fully and in the moment – not stuck in a past moment or feeling. Forgive. Be grateful. Move on. You have much better things to do.
Go ahead – choose one or two – what are you going to do?
In health & wellness,