7-Layers of Heaven...Bars (Gluten Free)
Sweetened condensed milk - this stuff is amazing. In coffee, in cakes (mmm, tres leches) and in these bars, never disappoints.
Coconut - toasted coconut, or really any form of coconut, I'm in love.
5 other layers of creamy, crunchy, sweet goodness - who wouldn't love these bars!?
These bars will definitely impress and they pack a fairly rich taste. Friends who are on a gluten free diet will worship you for making these.
Here's how I like to eat them....Step 1: cut a little tiny square off (because that's ALL I will have). 2. Think to myself "man, that was really good, lemme just cut another little square...then I'm done". Repeat step 1.
You have to keep these bars away from me. I apparently have no self control with certain desserts...ugh.
4 cups rice chex cereal, finely crushed
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1 ½ cups flaked coconut
1 (11 ounce) bag Log House Butterscotch Chips
12 ounces Chocolate CandiQuik Coating
¾ cup cocktail peanuts
½ cup sliced almonds
¾ (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (use less for a less-sweet/rich bar)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Thoroughly grease one 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
2. In a medium bowl, mix finely crushed rice cereal, butter and ½ cup coconut; press onto the bottom of the baking pan.
3. In a double-boiler, melt the butterscotch morsels until mostly melted. Melt CANDIQUIK according to package directions (I used the microwave: easier, less mess). Carefully spread the CANDIQUIK and butterscotch chips over the rice cereal mixture. (Pour the CandiQuik over the crust first and use a spatula to carefully smooth over the entire bottom, then follow with butterscotch chips)
4. Top with peanuts and almonds, spreading evenly over the top. Sprinkle remaining coconut over entire pan.
5. Pour condensed milk evenly over the whole pan. (Optional: sprinkle with additional coconut).
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until edges become golden brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
The photos don't really do these bars any justice.