7 Reasons Why Memorial Day is a Great Holiday!
By annemax on May 28, 2012
Memorial Day would be a lesser holiday except that the timing of it is just too perfect! Without it, how we would ever figure out (without a calendar) when summer starts? As you and the Accidental Locavore know, the weather certainly can't be trusted!
- According to popular media, we wouldn't know when to start firing up the barbecue...OK, if you have to wait till now to grill, you must live in a very cold place (in which case, is Memorial Day celebrated there?). The Locavore and her husband barbecue pretty much year-round, the only exception being if we have to shovel snow to get to it. I don’t really know why but my favorite food to do on the grill is chicken. Steaks and burgers are great, but there's something about grilling chicken that really makes it wonderful! What do you most look forward to grilling?
- Now that you've got the grill going in its official capacity, you need something to put on it, right? Isn’t it convenient that it's also the start of a lot of farmers’ markets? Asparagus are great now and work really well on the grill. I've read a lot lately about grilling lettuce but haven't tried it, have you? Ramps are on their way out, however it doesn't take many to put on a grilled pizza...And local strawberries just need a quick rinse to make dessert (although a little vanilla ice cream never hurt).
- We can wear white. Now most people are way more evolved, but I was brought up that you couldn't wear white before Memorial Day (or after Labor Day) and some traditions just stick with you.
- Smart companies start summer hours. I'm not sure if this is a NY thing, but try to find a fully-staffed office in this town on a Friday after 2:00. Half-day Fridays; great idea!
- The reason for summer hours? They go hand-in-hand with summer rentals. How boring life would be if holiday rentals simply started on June 1st...
- Fleet Week in Manhattan. No matter how many times you've seen the ships come in, it's always amazing to see them up close, to see how massive they are and how easily they maneuver their way up the Hudson River. Many years ago, my friend Laura and I got a personal tour of a destroyer and it was pretty impressive! Between the joy-sticks (that fire actual missiles!), the food choices and even ATM’s on every level, it was a memorable tour!
- Which leads to the real reason to love Memorial Day. Just seeing the sailors and soldiers on the streets of New York is the best reminder of what the holiday is all about; honoring those who have served. Thank you!
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on News & Entertainment
Recent Comments on News & Entertainment