7 Tips to avoid ‘deadly’ social media
By RobertSiciliano on December 08, 2013
The vacant 5,000 square foot house next door to this kicking victim was on sale, and he had agreed with the realtor to keep an eye on it. Some kids got wind of this vacancy and put out a Facebook invitation to a Halloween rave party there.
He called 9-1-1 and the police broke up the party. However, kids kept arriving because the Facebook notice was still up. A mob of perhaps 60 kids was brewing at the end of the street.
The victim-to-be began chatting with the realtor’s partner—in front of the rave house. The realtor then approached a kid and was assaulted. Our victim intervened without much thought, got blindsided by one thug, then kicked by several kids to the ground.
Hindsight is 20/20
The victim, only after the beating, realized that he should have:
- Fled to his house and called the police.
- Remained outside and called the police (not as safe as above, but a lot better than jumping into a fight)
However, these weren’t the best options. The best option would have been this victim calling the police to come back when the mob was forming.
- The victim could have taken pictures of these kids (with his Nokia 1020) before any of the rumbling began.
- Avoid mobs at all costs.
- If someone is attacked, call the police and take pictures.
- Do not jump in to break up a fight. Three scrawny but very angry punks can take down a much bigger well-meaning solitary person.
- If you do get attacked, go ballistic—and target the gang’s leader.
- Sprint to safety first chance you get.
- Warn your kids about the dangers of raves.
- Check out the “crime radar” of your neighborhood with this new tool.
More Like This
Recent Posts by RobertSiciliano
Most Popular on BlogHer
This summer has been filled with spontaneous road trips, backyard parties with friends, and day trips to the coast. The warm summer temperatures have been perfect for grilling and spending time outside. This past week, we took coolers full of marinated Spicy Bud Light Lime Chicken Kabobs and Bud Light Lime beer to the beach for a fun day with friends. Read more
Most Popular on Technology
Recent Comments on Technology
By Annie Smith