8 TIps for How To Get a Better Night of Sleep
8 Tips for how to get a better night of sleep
After getting home from a month in Europe, going to concerts, having family and friends visiting and my birthday – my sleep routine has NOT been it’s norm.
This week I wanted to get back on a schedule, which for me usually means bed around 10:30 pm and up around 6:30 am, but I’ve been finding it REALLY difficult!
The past two nights I’ve been totally restless, tossing and turning all night and then oversleeping in the morning leaving me groggy and baggy-eyed.
Sleep deprivation messes with our brain and endocrine system causing things like weight gain, lowered immune system, challenges with focus, energy levels, bad moods, increased sugar cravings and just not feeling like ourselves. If you’re wondering how to get a better nights sleep, then definitely give this a try.
I knew I had to do something about it. And the first trick up my sleeve was to give my bedroom a total makeover.
I believe in the importance of having our bedrooms feel like a peaceful oasis. This will improve sleep, rest, relaxation and even sex.
I had been wanting to upgrade our bedroom for awhile and haven’t taken the time.
Plus, our dogs were sleeping in the bed on and off with us which didn’t initiate good sleep between dog hair and Pono sprawling herself out lengthways.
We also didn’t have a good summer blanket. Our blanket wasn’t big enough for both of us so we’d end up in a blanket wrestling match during the night. And Peter gets hot at night and I get cold so it doesn’t make sense to have a fan blowing full blast at both of us.
Here’s what I did about it and how to get a better nights sleep. The best part is none of this broke the bank!
- Banned all electronics from the bedroom. That means no TV, iPads, work, computer, Facebook checking, etc.
- No dogs allowed in the bedroom at night. They can sleep in their own beds in the living room.
- Bought a fabulous Queen-sized quilt and pillow shams from West Elm. They’re having a 20% sale right now on all bedding! And I’m not an affiliate…just thought I’d share the wealth. I ordered a Quilt in Stone White and Euro pillow shams in Peach Rose.
- Grabbed a few luxurious candles specifically for the bedroom. I light these babies about an hour before I go to bed which makes the room feel peaceful and calm.
- I set up a stool on Peter’s side of the bed with our quiet, blade-less Dyson fan so he’d be the only one to get hit with the air.
- Put a few of my houseplants along the window sills in our bedroom and set up a humidifier filled water and a few drops of lavender oil to freshen up the air
- Set up my mini meditation cushion in the bedroom to do 5 minutes of meditation before bed and first thing in the morning
- Me and Peter started a routine of stretching one another (you can obviously also do this by yourself). When you stretch your body out before bed it calms your mind and relaxes the muscles in your body. Plus, if you do it with your partner it promotes intimacy
Now it’s your turn. Have you ever had trouble sleeping? What helped you overcome it?
Or, let me know which of these tips you’re going to try!
Remember to be as specific as you can in your comment. Your share may spark the breakthrough someone else needs.
Thank you, as always, for reading, watching and being so generous and kind.