9 People You Should Unfriend on Facebook
By Virginia78 on June 14, 2011
Before I joined Facebook, I wasn't sure what to expect, but it sounded like a fun way for people to connect with their friends. Instead of being a place where people can work on their virtual farms in peace, surrounded by their friends, it has become a source of stress for a lot of people.
A recent article on CNN said 85% of women are annoyed by their Facebook friends. Why do we do this to ourselves?
1. The Activist Friend: The person who repeatedly posts things like: My religious/political view is the only right one and everyone else can go die. When a sweet little old lady posted about how she wished the president was dead, I started to realize that Facebook was affecting my quality of life.
2. The Ghost Friend: Their face is on my friends list but they're never actually on Facebook. My husband is one of these. Every 3 months he logs on, sees 70+ friend requests, and logs off. I figure it will be years before he realizes I unfriended him.
3. The Couple Users: Their love for one another is pasted all over the other's wall. Then they argue about who loves who more and lol about how they're sitting right next to each other on the couch, yet still talking on Facebook. Isn't that cute? Yes, it's so cute that I want to hire a hitman to take out your internet access.
4. The "Always be Closing" Friend: Yes, it's great when our friends try to better themselves by trying to make a little money on the side. However, if their posts are only about their latest product or, sadly, the pyramid scheme they still think is a great idea, then they have to go.
5. The Shitty Speller: Ur posts r unintelgble. Some of these folks can be helped by using Firefox with its squiggly red line under misspelled words. Unfortunately, it won't help the "ain't got no" or the "their, there, they're" problem. It may mean I'm a bad person, but I would much rather unfriend someone than correct their spelling and grammar.
6. The Cryptic Poster: All his statuses are obscure references or song lyrics. It's an attempt to appear more intelligent when there's really nothing there. I call these "The Emperor's New Posts." Maybe if I got a hipster decoder ring...
7. The Eeyore Friend: They only get on Facebook when they want to complain. I'm sorry you lost your tail for the 50th time, but you're making me want to kill myself.
8. The "Remember When" Friend: Yes, we went to the same high school (is it 15 years ago already? Yikes. *fills out AARP application*) but our lives are way different now. I don't know about being bff's on Facebook for the rest of eternity.
9. The Friend Whore: Not the friend who's a whore (those are juicy status updates), I mean the people who are in some kind of contest to get the most friends ever and who easily have over 500 friends. Unfriend them and chances are they won't even notice you're gone.
These 9 kinds of people were easy to cut, but trimming down on close friends and family was trickier.
Virginia blogs about marriage, motherhood, and maintaining her sanity at My Spinning Plates.
More Like This
Recent Posts by Virginia78
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Blogging & Social Media
Recent Comments on Blogging & Social Media