Adding a Watermark to Your Instagram Images
By Elaine Griffin on November 13, 2012
The rise of Pinterest has made bloggers increasingly aware of the importance of watermarking images. Not only does watermarking images protect against theft, it also makes viewers of the image aware of where the content originated. Watermarking is not a fool-proof protection, but it is a good start.
Image courtesy Laine Griffin
Instagram has seen their own rise in use and possibility for sharing and marketing. There are numerous plugins enabling users to share their images in blog posts and in sidebars. Images can be shared from Instagram to Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Foursquare, and Tumblr. Now Instagram has rolled out their online platform, and the time has come for us to pause and learn how to watermark our images.
There are several apps available for watermarking images, but I chose iWatermark because it is available for Mac, Windows, iPhone and other Apple products, and Android. There is a free and a paid version, which is available for $1.99. Both versions offer the same features. The difference between the two is the free version includes a statement on your image: “'iWatermark Free - Upgrade to remove this watermark'.” iWatermark allows users to create a text watermark or a graphic watermark.
Creating a Graphic Watermark with iWatermark
My preferred method for creating a watermark is the graphic method, because in this case you can use your logo and further your branding and marketing efforts. Creating the graphic watermark is easy. You simply need make your logo white or grey, reduce the opacity, and perhaps change the size. Some will be able to do this, and some will not. Please, enlist the help of a graphic designer if you do not know how to do this. It will only take them a couple of minutes, and the quality will be much better.
- Once you have your graphic watermark, email it to yourself from your computer.
- With your device, open your email, download your watermark, and save it to your image gallery.
- Open iWatermark, and choose “Select Photo.” Then select “Open Photo Gallery.” (Any image will do - for some reason you need to open an image in order to create a watermark).
- Once you have chosen your photo, you will be asked what you want to do. Choose “Create Graphic Watermark.”
- At the bottom of the screen you will see three options; “Edit,” “WaterMarks,” and “Save.” Choose “Edit,” and you will be directed to your image library, where you will choose the logo image you saved earlier.
- Now choose “Save and Exit” at the bottom. Name your watermark, choose save, and you should get a message it was saved to the roller.
Congratulations – you have created a graphic watermark! Now let’s add it to images.
Adding a Watermark and Uploading it to Instagram
I prefer taking a picture with the camera on my device – rather than taking the photo with Instagram itself. You also have the option of taking a picture with iWatermark. These are the instructions for using your device camera.
- Open iWatermark and choose “Select Photo,” and then “Open Photo Gallery.”
- Next, choose “iWatermark Photo.”
- Your image will pop up, and you will also see the roller, where your graphic watermark was saved. Tap the watermark name, and it will appear at the top left of the image. Tap the screen to remove the roller. You can position or resize the watermark with your fingers.
- When you have placed our watermark where you want it, choose “Save” at the bottom, and then “Save to Photo Library.” TIP! Remember the square space you are allowed in Instagram!
Awesome! Your image is watermarked, now go to your library and make sure it is there, so we can edit and upload it with Instagram! If your image is there, open Instagram, click the camera icon, and choose “Photo Gallery.” Now frame your image, choose your filter if you so desire, and upload.
If You Prefer to Take the Photo with Instagram
If you prefer to use Instagram to take your photos, watermarking becomes a little trickier. Instagram was developed as a social sharing tool, and so is programmed to upload your image to Instagram as soon as it is saved. Thankfully Geek is the New Chic gives us a way to save your Instagram image to your camera roll without uploading it. Her suggestion is to simply turn your phone to airplane mode, which disconnects from the network, thus saving to the camera roll. Once it is saved to the camera roll, you can open iWatermark and watermark your image per the instructions above!
More Like This
Recent Posts by Elaine Griffin
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Lori Luna
Sparkling ICE is a bold flavored sparkling water that truly delivers on taste and contains just the right amount of fizz. Read our bloggers' posts and get more details on how you can enter the Flavor Face Off plus find out more about the delicious flavors that Sparkling ICE has to offer. Read more