Announcing the 2012 International Activist BlogHer Scholarship Nominations!
By Polly Pagenhart on February 07, 2012
BlogHer Original Post
Today we are proud to announce the BlogHer '12 International Activist BlogHer scholarship program and invite you to submit yourself or your favorite international activist BlogHer for consideration for this scholarship.
The Back Story:
In 2008, BlogHer won the Anita Borg Social Impact Award from the Anita Borg Institute. The Award came with $10,000 in prize money. After community discussion, we decided to spend the award money offering four scholarships to bring activist women bloggers from around the world to BlogHer '09 in Chicago to present their work.
The panel was so empowering, so enriching and so inspiring that we decided we needed to continue the scholarship program, even with no unexpected windfall to subsidize it. So we did it in 2010, and again in 2011. Each time it has been stirring, inspiring, empowering, and humbling to hear the recipients talk about what they're doing in their communities back home, and how they're using social media to advance those aims.
The 2012 International Activist Blogger Scholarship Program:
So today we open up the BlogHer 2012 International Activist Scholarship Program. If you or someone you know is a woman blogger, living outside the United States and blogging to raise awareness, consciousness, or funding to change their community, region, nation, or the world, then please nominate yourself or such a bloggerto win one of the three scholarships available this year. As with any of our programs, we encourage women to nominate themselves. Stand up and ask for the attention you deserve! Or by all means, call our attention to someone whose work deserves trumpeting.
Scholarship Winners Will Receive:
- A full 2-day conference pass to BlogHer '12
- Round trip airfare to and from New York, NY for the BlogHer '12 annual conference
- 2 nights stay at the Hilton New York during the conference
- The opportunity to present their work during a session at BlogHer '12
If you review the nomination form, you'll see that we're asking you to describe not only the mission of the blog/blogger and how they are effecting change, but also how they could benefit from their BlogHer experience.
How Winners Will Be Chosen:
We have formed a committee of eight to help choose the scholarship winners. Four of the committee members are BlogHer employees:
- Elisa Camahort Page, BlogHer co-founder and COO
- Polly Pagenhart, BlogHer Conference Programming Director
- Shannon Carroll, BlogHer Conference Programming Manager
- Amelia Elsbee, BlogHer Marketing Coordinator (and former International Student Program administrator)
And four of the committee members are highly respected women from the online community at large, including one of last year's scholarship winners:
- Cheryl Contee, Partner, Fission Strategy and co-founder of Jack & Jill Politics
- Angelica Perez-Litwin, Psychologist and publisher and CEO, New Latina
- Reem Amr Abbas, author, Wholeheartedly Sudaniya, and recipient of a 2011 BlogHer International Activist Blogger Scholarship
- Jessica Ferris, author, Chirky (and former BlogHer Conference Programming Manager)
Because getting visas can be a huge issue, depending on the nation of residence, our timeline is brisk.
- Nominations Open: Now! Submit nominations here.
- Nominations Close: March 7, 2012
- Winners Notified: March 31, 2012
It is not an exaggeration that many of us who work on this find it to be one of the brightest highlights in a year of highlight-filled programming. It is truly an honor to learn about the ways so many are making so much positive change, using the power of their words and actions online. And it's a thrill to see the recipients bring that energy to conference attendees here in the States. Please help us spread the word far and wide!
More Like This
Recent Posts by Polly Pagenhart
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Melissa Ford
June 2, 2015 - 6:20pm by Julie Ross Godar
June 2, 2015 - 11:43am by Elisa Camahort