Announcing the 2014 BlogHer Voices & Photos of the Year!
By Stacy Morrison on May 05, 2014
BlogHer Original Post
One community of greatness, thousands of submissions, 34 committee members to read every single entry (more than once)... And nine weeks later, we have the results: The 2014 BlogHer Voices & Photos of the Year! (Affectionately known—if not by all, then at least by us—as #VOTY and #PhOTY.)
As usual, this year's VOTY process has been a thrilling and magnificent journey through the hearts and minds—and now, this year, with the addition of PhOTY, eyes—of the blogosphere, and a true testament to the powerhouse talent within it. We are so very proud to honor these 110 bloggers for their originality, their craft and their passion. So without further ado, let's get YOU all excited about this wonderful showcase of talent, too.
AND THE 2014 PHOTOS OF THE YEAR HONOREES ARE ...
In the FOOD, CRAFT, THINGS I MADE category:
In the FACES, FRIENDS, FAMILY category:
In the NATURE BIG AND SMALL category:
In the STREET LIFE/SLICE OF LIFE category:
In the SELFIES category:
Congratulations to all our Photos of the Year! The honored images will be unveiled at the BlogHer '14 Community Keynote reception, and this post will be simultaneously updated with the links. In the meantime, we urge you to check out all their lovely photographs at their blogs, Instagram feeds and Facebook pages.
Before we announce the 100 honorees —including the four People's Choice winners and the 12 BlogHer '14 Community Keynote readers —we want to thank our Voices of the Year Selection Committee, comprised of past readers and BlogHer staff who worked tirelessly to carefully review each and every one of the submissions. Each post was reviewed at least twice, over two rounds of review, and we simply must thank them for their dedication, commitment to celebration the community, and, of course, their countless hours of work!
Former VOTY Reviewers:
- Kelly Wickham from Mocha Momma (VOTY '13);
- Adrienne Jones from No Points for Style (VOTY '13);
- Lori Volkman from Uppercase Woman (VOTY '13);
- Thien-Kim Lam from I'm Not the Nanny (VOTY '12) ;
- Arnebya Herndon from What Now and Why? (VOTY '12);
- Fadra Nally from All Things Fadra (VOTY '13);
- Zakary Watson from Raising Colorado (VOTY '13);
- Jane Byers Goodwin from Scheiss Weekly (VOTY '12);
- Sarah Kimmel from Tech4Mommies (VOTY '10);
- Tanis Miller from Tanis Miller (VOTY '09);
- Melanie Coffee from She's Write (VOTY '13);
- Shari Simpson from Dusty Earth Mother (VOTY 12);
- Suzanne Barston from Fearless Formula Feeder (VOTY '12);
- Varda Steinhardt from The Squashed Bologna (VOTY '12);
- Elan Morgan from Schmutzie (VOTY '08);
- Jenny Feldon from Karma, Continued (VOTY '12);
- Vikki Reich from Up Popped a Fox (VOTY '12)
- Shannon Carroll from Shannonigans (VOTY '08)
- Jenni Chiu from Mommy Nani Booboo (VOTY '11)
- Susan Goldberg from Mama non Grata (VOTY '12)
- Casey Carey-Brown from Life with Roozle (VOTY '13)
- Elizabeth Jayne Liu from Flourish in Progress (VOTY '12)
- Dresden Shumaker from Creating Motherhood (VOTY '12)
- Heather Spohr from The Spohrs Are Multiplying (VOTY '09)
BlogHer Staff Reviewers:
- Denise Tanton (BlogHer Community Manager)
- Diane Lang (BlogHer Social Media Manager and VOTY '11)
- Elisa Camahort Page (BlogHer Co-founder)
- Jenna Hatfield (BlogHer Section Editor & Events Editor)
- Jory Des Jardins (BlogHer Co-founder)
- Julie Ross Godar (BlogHer Executive Editor)
- Karen Ballum (BlogHer Community Moderator)
- Lisa Stone (BlogHer Co-founder)
- Rita Arens (BlogHer Deputy Editor)
- Stacy Morrison (BlogHer Editor-in-Chief)
Thanks to each and every one of you for signing on for the nearly impossible task of narrowing down to less than 5% of the total submissions to yield those who will receive recognition during this year's Voices of the Year Community Keynote on Friday, July 25 at BlogHer '14. That 5% translates into 100 bloggers who will be honored at BlogHer '14, as part of the Community Keynote and after the keynote at the Voices of the Year reception, where every honorees's work will be on display.
As with the PhOTYs, we will not share the specific posts that will be read at the Community Keynote until after our honorees have taken the stage. But never fear, there are 88 other amazing posts to read RIGHT NOW THIS SECOND. Check them out below! Go ahead—get your VOTY on!!
THE 2014 VOICES OF THE YEAR ARE ...
In the Heart category:
- Arnebya from What Now and Why? for Too Thin
- Jennifer Ball-Tufford from Scary Mommy for Those People
- Beth from Still Standing Magazine for What I Mean When I Say, "My Daughter Was Stillborn"
- Jenni Chiu from MommyNaniBooboo for The 60 Seconds I Forgot To Tell You About
- Lori Duron from Raising My Rainbow for When The Boys' Room Isn't Safe For A Boy
- Eli from Coach Daddy for Would You Die for Me, Daddy?
- Emily from The Waiting for Finding Your People
- Erin from I'm Gonna Kill Him for The Tea Party
- Susan Goldberg from Mama Non Grata for Her Number
- Josefa from Always Josefa for Maltese Qassatat
- Adina Kay-Gross from Kveller for The Stranger Who Spoke at My Father’s Unveiling
- Kristin from Keenly Kristin for A Letter To My Sons
- Jamie Krug from Our Stroke of Luck for Grieving For the Other Owen
- Lea from Becoming SuperMommy for Becoming Invisible
- Michelle Lewson from They Call Me Mummy for The Ugliest Doll in the Shop
- Mother X from The Notebooks of Mother X for There Are All Kinds of Ways to Lose a Child
- Risa Nye from Risa Nye for Heart on a Red Sleeve
- Alexandra Rosas from Good Day, Regular People for Familiar in the Unfamiliar
- Timaree from C Is for Crocodile for I Had a Boy
- Madame Weebles from Fear No Weebles for What You Don't See
- Anna Whiston-Donaldson from An Inch of Gray for Sifting And Sorting
- Jennifer P. Williams from Jennifer P. Williams for What Can I Do?
Bridget Williams from Savings for Sanity receives the People's Choice Award for Heart for The Positivity of Life, and the readers for Heart will be:
- Jenna Hatfield from Stop, Drop and Blog
- August McLaughlin from Girl Boner
- Kristin Vanderhey Shaw from Two Cannoli
In the Humor category:
- Brent Almond from Designer Daddy for Is Being A Dad Turning Me Straight?
- Jennifer Ball-Tufford from The Happy Hausfrau for 7 Things You Totes Need to Stop Saying if You're Over 30 (Oops, There's One of Them)
- Victoria Elizabeth Barnes from Victoria Elizabeth Barnes for The Kingdom Mirror: My Post that Went Viral and Changed Everything
- Stephanie Bernaba from Momma Be Thy Name for Tricks or Treats: What Will You Choose?
- Vikki Claflin from Laugh Lines for Doctor, Can You Give Me a Lift?
- Bill Dameron from The Authentic Life for The Queen and Me: Excuse Me, But You're Standing on My Platform
- Marcia Kester Doyle from Menopausal Mother for 10 Reasons Why I Love Menopause
- Kim Forde from The Fordeville Diaries for Target Always Wins
- Brenna Jennings from Suburban Snapshots for And This is Why I Don't Camp
- Nancy Davis Kho from Midlife Mixtape for How to Maximize the Drama Inherent in a Wild Turkey Encounter
- Kelcey Kintner from The Mama Bird Diaries for Guest Post By My 3-year-old Son
- Stephanie Lewis from Once Upon Your Prime for Don't Change the Channel-er
- Elizabeth Jayne Liu from Flourish in Progress for Hustle Hard Interview Project: Harv & Cal
- Mushrooms Up from Funny for Nothing for All I Wanted Was to Be Rich and Famous
- Darcy Perdu from So Then ... Stories for My SECRET Accomplishment —(Photographs ABSOLUTELY Forbidden!)
- Mary Laura Philpott from I Miss You When I Blink for Looking Bad Is The New Looking Good
- Sarah Powers from Powers of Mine for An Open Letter to People Who Can't Stop Talking About Pumpkin Spice Lattes
- Jodee Rose from The Cheeseblarg for Tattoos ... The Final Frontier
- Linda Roy from Elleroy Was Here for While the Iron's Hot
- Mary Widdicks from Outmanned for My Boobs Are Full of Surprises
Aussa Lorens from Hacker.Ninja.Hooker.Spy receives the People's Choice Award for Humor for 7 Ways Your Life Is Like High School , and the readers for Humor will be:
- Meredith Bland from Pile of Babies
- Parri Sontag from Her Royal Thighness
- Tammy Soong from The World's Worst Moms
In the Exploration category:
- Amy Mcvay Abbott from The Broad Side for Leaning Ugly
- Africadayz for For Ian: An Ordinary Saturday
- Angelle Bonnecarrere from She Drives a Vegetable Car for Once Upon a Time in New York
- Yuvika Chaube from My Musings for A Letter to the Previous Owner of My Mobile Number
- Chris from Campfires and Cleats for Always Hope: The Soldier in the Snapshot
- Debra Cole from Urban Moo Cow for Introduction to Eating Disorders
- Dalene from hecKtic travels for Death Camp
- Natalie DeYoung from The Cat Lady Sings for The Art of Holding Back
- Shannon Duffy from Deepest Worth for Shining Through
- Cheryl Dumesnil from VillageQ for "I Just Want to Be Like Everyone Else"
- Anita Finlay from Anita Finlay for WW II Female War Heroes Deserve to Have Their Stories Told
- Gretchen from Second Blooming for Spin Cycle: Haunted Hollywood
- Rachel Haas from Dramatic Elegance for To the Men from a Jesus Feminist
- Christine Harkin from Naptime Writing for Is That Manic or Depressive?
- Kinnary from The Mango Cage for Sunday 29th December
- Kylie from The Life of Kylie for When You Were My Age
- Elora Nicole from Elora Nicole for Let's Be Writers
- Grayson Queen from Posting Tuesdays for Portrait of a Diabetic
- Rara Queen from Rarasaur for I Was Small
- Jess Severson from Don't Mind the Mess for Women, Infants and Children
- Leah Vidal from Little Miss Wordy for History Of The World Part 2
Kristi Campbell from Finding Ninee receives the People's Choice Award for Exploration for Sometimes, I'm Maybe Not Myself. By My Maybe Autistic Son. , and the readers for Exploration are:
- Ashley Garrett from Baddest Mother Ever
- Lisa Page Rosenberg from Smacksy
- Grace Sandra from Grace Sandra
In the OpEd Category:
- Roshni AaMom from Indian American Mom for WOHMS, Ditch the Mommy Guilt Already!
- Michelle Albright-Peters from So Wonderful, So Marvelous for Moms, When Are You Going to Learn?
- Lauren Apfel from Brain, Child for A Child-Less Party With a Child-Free Friend
- Jennifer Borget from Baby Making Machine for When My Biracial Daughter Asked About My Brown Skin
- Casey Carey-Brown from Life with Roozle for An Open Letter to Guido Barilla
- Claudia Cevenini and Sue Wildish from Compari and Sofa for Doing More Only to Do Less —Do We Glorify Busy?
- Jessica Cobb from The Domestic Pirate for I Forgive You
- Cynking Feeling from That Cynking Feeling for Please Don't Cheer for My Son
- Heather Greenwood Davis from Intelligent Travel for Being Black in China
- Estelle Sobel Erasmus from Musings on Motherhood & Midlife for Make Little Girls' Voices Carry
- Kristin Ireland from Mondays with Mac for Talking to Children About Rape
- Adrienne Jones from No Points for Style for For Kelly Thomas
- Tracy Morrison from Scary Mommy for Was It My Fault?
- Abby Norman from Accidental Devotional for The Day I Taught How Not to Rape
- Kesha Phillips from WeGotKidz.com writing at Helicopter Mom & Just Plane Dad for Brown Blogger in a Vanilla World: What It Means to Be an African-American Blogger in a Predominantly White Niche
- Cindy Reed from The Reedster Speaks for No Caillou, Bald Is Not the New Black.
- Dresden Shumaker from Creating Motherhood for Raising a Son Within the Princess Culture
- Katie Sluiter from Sluiter Nation for I Heard You
- Stephanie Sprenger from Mommy, for Real for My Beautiful Girls: Raising Feminist Daughters
- Angela Youngblood from Jumping with My Fingers Crossed for Remember, Compassion
Lois Alter Mark from Midlife at the Oasis receives the People's Choice Award for OpEd for Miley Wasn't Alone on That Stage , and the readers in OpEd are:
- A'Driane Nieves from Butterfly Confessions
- Janelle Hanchett from Renegade Mothering
- Phyllis Myung from The Napkin Hoarder
Congrats to all of the 2014 Voices of the Year, and thank you to everyone who allowed us the privilege of reading your amazing work during the submission process. See you in San Jose for the rockingest BlogHer ever, as we all come together to celebrate TEN YEARS of BLOGHER and BLOGHERS!!!
More Like This
Recent Posts by Stacy Morrison
Most Popular on BlogHer
January 12, 2015 - 8:29am by Elisa Camahort
January 5, 2015 - 9:17am by Elisa Camahort
December 4, 2014 - 5:06pm by JennaHatfield
Recent Comments on Conferences