Announcing the BlogHer '11 International Activist Blogger Scholarship
Today we are proud to announce the BlogHer '11 International Activist BlogHer scholarship program and invite you to submit yourself or your favorite international activist BlogHer for consideration for this scholarship.
The Back Story:
In 2008, BlogHer won the Anita Borg Social Impact Award from the Anita Borg Institute. The Award came with $10K in prize money. After community discussion, we decided to spend the award money offering four scholarships to bring activist women bloggers from around the world to BlogHer '09 last July in Chicago to present their work.
The panel was so empowering, so enriching and so inspiring that we decided we needed to continue the scholarship program, even with no unexpected windfall to subsidize it. So we did it again in 2010. Again, stirring, inspiring, empowering, humbling.
We're back to bring more of that kind of inspiration to BlogHer '11
The 2011 International Activist Blogger Scholarship Program:
Today I'm proud to announce the BlogHer 2011 International Activist Scholarship Program. Here's how it works: If you or someone you know is a woman blogger, outside the United States, blogging to raise awareness, consciousness or funding to change their community, region, country or the world, then please nominate yourself or such a blogger to win one of these four scholarships. Yes, as with any of our programs: We encourage women to nominate themselves. To stand up and ask for the attention they deserve.
Scholarship Winners Will Receive:
- A full 2-day conference pass to BlogHer '11
- Round trip airfare to and from San Diego, CA for the BlogHer '11 annual conference
- 2 nights stay at the San Diego Marriott during the conference
- The opportunity to present their work during a session at BlogHer '11
If you review the nomination form, you'll see that we're asking you to describe not only the mission of the blog/blogger and how they are effecting change, but also how they could benefit from their BlogHer experience.
How Winners Will Be Chosen:
We have formed a committee of six to help choose the scholarship winners. Three of the committee members are BlogHer employees:
- Julie Ross Godar, BlogHer Managing Editor
- Polly Pagenhart, BlogHer Conference Programming Director
- Denise Tanton, BlogHer Community Manager
And three of the committee members are these amazing, well-respected women, including one of last year's scholarship winners:
- Diane MacEachern, Author, Big Green Purse
- Ana Roca Castro, CEO of Premier Social Media and Founder of Latino(a)s in Social Media #LATISM
- Dushiyanthini Kanagasabapathipillai, publisher of Humanity Ashore, and recipient of a 2010 BlogHer International Activist Blogger Scholarship
Because getting visas can be a huge issue, depending on the nation of residence, our timeline is quick and short.
Nominations Open: Now! Submit nominations here.
Nominations Close: April 22, 2011
Winners Notified: May 1, 2011
If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to contact me.
We look forward to being awed and inspired by the work being undertaken by brave woman throughout the world!
More Like This
Recent Posts by Elisa Camahort
Most Popular on BlogHer
Recent Comments on BlogHer Conference 2011