Announcing the BlogHer '14 Call for Ideas!
By mrlady on November 04, 2013
BlogHer Original Post
At BlogHer PRO last month, we announced the location and opened ticket sales (capped at 2,500!) for the 10th Annual BlogHer Conference, coming back to San Jose, CA. Today, we're excited to discover what you want to contribute to BlogHer '14, what you hope to learn, and who you want to hear from -- the call for ideas is now open!
The Call for Ideas lets you help build the conference *you* want to attend. Let us know what topics you'd like to hear discussed or which speakers you think would be a great addition to this year's roster. You can submit:
- Speakers: You want to speak, or you want to submit someone else you think would be a great speaker
- A fully-incubated program idea: You have a complete session idea you'd like to present, complete with co-speakers (if a panel), takeaways for the audience, etc
- A wish-list for content: You know you'd like to hear more about ____ this year, but you would like us to figure out the details.
If you're submitting a speaker, here's what we're looking for:
- Accomplished speakers and instructors (for panels, workshops, and presentations) who also represent the rich diversity of the blogging community
- Speakers and instructors with relevant experience on the topic they've been suggested for -- and that doesn't necessarily mean prior speaking experience
- Experienced moderators for panel discussions
- New-to-BlogHer speakers: We set a goal to feature predominantly new voices each year, so if you (or your suggested speaker) has not previously spoken at the annual conference, that's an advantage!
If you're submitting a topic or session, your idea should fit into one of these session styles:
- Presentation: A speaker shares ideas and insights with the audience in a TED/Ignite-style session (think lots of slides, less Q&A -- usually 15-30 minutes)
- Workshop: Includes hands-on learning (particularly fitted to more technical sessions -- usually 30-45 minutes)
- Panel discussion: A group of people (preferably 2-3, possibly to include a moderator) dig deep into a subject, talking through key points and differing perspectives to give the audience a well-rounded view of the subject (usually 45-90 minutes)
You'll be prompted in the Call for Ideas to let us know which category(ies) your submission best fits into, and those categories include:
- Craft & DIY
- Health & Wellness
- Marketing & Monetization
- News & Politics
- Online Community Management
- Parenting & Family
- Passions & Interests
- Personal Identity & Tribes
- Social Good & Activism
- Social Platforms & Tools
- Style & Beauty
- Technology & Gadgets
- Visual Arts: Animation, Design, Graphics, Iconography
- Writing Craft & the Publishing Industry
Once the Call for Ideas closes (on 12/02/2013), we'll take all the great ideas you share with us and use them to help create the agenda for next July's conference. We can't use every idea we get, but we'll let you know either way by mid-January, when we'll announce the preliminary program and open Room of Your Own submissions.
And remember, anything goes! Be creative, be imaginative, be original -- be part of our 10th annual event! Check out past conference agendas to get a sense of what's worked in the past, and what new ideas you add to BlogHer '14. When you're ready, submit your speaker and session ideas here, and be sure to register before BlogHer '14 sells out!
Conference Programming Manager
More Like This
Recent Posts by mrlady
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Lori Luna
July 1, 2015 - 7:00am by leahpeah
June 30, 2015 - 7:49am by Lori Luna
Recent Comments on Conferences