Announcing the 2013 International Activist BlogHer Scholarship Nominations!
By mrlady on February 05, 2013
BlogHer Original Post
Today we are excited to open up nominations for the BlogHer 2013 International Activist Scholarship Program!
The International Activist Scholarship was born in 2008, when BlogHer won the Anita Borg Social Impact Award from the Anita Borg Institute. The Award came with $10K in prize money. After community discussion, we decided to spend the award money offering four scholarships to bring activist women bloggers from around the world to BlogHer '09 in Chicago to present their work.
The 2009 International Activist Scholarship Honorees, L to R, Left to Right: Moderator: Anita Tedali; Annie Zaidi, India; Cristina Quisbert, Bolivia; Pilirani Semu-Banda, Malawi; Toyin Ajao, Nigeria
Five years later, the conference is returning to Chicago, and we are thrilled to bring four incredible women from around the world to Chicago with us, to shine a spotlight on their work. Zeng Jinyan, an honoree in both 2007 and 2009 who was unable to attend due to being under house arrest in China, is finally able to join us this year. Three other global activists will join her in Chicago as our 2013 International Activists, and we need your help to find them!
If you or someone you know is a woman blogger who lives and works outside the United States, and is blogging to raise awareness, consciousness, or funding to change their community, region, nation, or the world, then please nominate yourself or such a blogger here.
- A full two-day conference pass to BlogHer '13
- Round trip airfare to and from Chicago, IL for the BlogHer '13 annual conference
- Two nights' stay at the Sheraton Chicago during the conference
- The opportunity to present their work during the International Activists panel from 3:15-4:00 pm on Saturday, July 27, 2013 at BlogHer '13
We are seeking bloggers who are both living and working outside of the US to effect change locally or globally, and who are using blogging and social media to do so. We hope to bring women who -- or whose work or mission -- will be benefited by attendance at BlogHer '13. For an idea of the type of bloggers/work we strive to support through this award, please visit the 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 recipient announcements.
The Selection Process:
Our annual International Activist selection committee is comprised of a mix BlogHer staff and a few highly respected women from the online community at large, including one of last year's scholarship winners. This year's committee includes:
- Cheryl Contee, Partner, Fission Strategy and co-founder of Jack & Jill Politics
- Elisa Camahort Page, BlogHer co-founder and COO
- Grace Hwang-Lynch, BlogHer Section Editor for News & Politics and Race & Ethnicity
- Jeannine Harvey, Senior Manager, Strategic Relationships, ONE
- Jenifer Monroe, BlogHer Publishing Network Manager
- Maha El-Sanosi, political activist and publisher of Mimzology (@MimzicalMimz), and recipient of a 2012 BlogHer International Activist Blogger Scholarship
- Shannon Carroll, BlogHer Conference Programming Manager
Our activists will need time to get their visas and travel arrangements in order, so the nomination process moves quite quickly!
- Nominations open: Now! Submit nominations here.
- Nominations close: February 18, 2013 at midnight Pacific
- Winners notified: March 15, 2013
The International Activists Scholarship is not only an incredible opportunity for the scholarship recipients, it's one on the most inspirational elements of of our annual conference. We ask you to nominate anyone living and working outside of the US whom you identify as a true change agent, and to also help spread the word about this program to your community through your blogs, Twitter, and Facebook. We also invite and encourage you to join us at 3:15 pm on July 27th, 2013 in Chicago to celebrate the amazing women who will be present to share their story and their mission at BlogHer '13.
Conference Programming Manager
More Like This
Recent Posts by mrlady
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Lori Luna
ADDED: New Thursday Afternoon Kick-Off Keynote at #BlogHer15 Featuring #womenslives and #BlackLivesMatterJuly 1, 2015 - 11:52am by Elisa Camahort
July 1, 2015 - 7:00am by leahpeah
June 30, 2015 - 7:49am by Lori Luna
Recent Comments on Conferences
By Kathy Benson
By Tané Tachyon