By A Southern Soul on November 03, 2012
Featured Member Post
[Editor's Note: A crostata is a pretty and simple alternative to a pie at the holidays. This version is made with apples, but you can customize it to whatever fruit filling you like best. --Genie]
A couple of weeks ago while shopping at the Farmers Market, I ran across several vendors selling apples. Yippee! Our family loves apples and loves them in and with anything. So, I picked up several different varities and started plotting about what I could do with my basket of goodies. My first dish, of course, had to be dessert. There's nothing quite like the smell of buttery crust, sugar and fruit all baking in the oven....welcome to fall!
1 disk of pie dough (I used store-bought)
Flour for dusting surface of parchment
1 large egg, beaten
2 tart apples (Granny Smith or Gala, peeled, cored and sliced)
2 sweeter apples (McIntosh, peeled, cored and sliced)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon
1/4 cup apple butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out dough to about a 13-inch round, on a lightly floured surface. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Toss apples, granulated sugar, flour, lemon juice, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Spread apple butter over bottom of dough, leaving about a 1 ½ inch border.
- Arrange apples over apple butter. Sprinkle top of apples with additional cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Fold in edges of dough to form a crust.
- Brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake crostata until apples are tender and crust is golden, about 1 hour.
- Let cool slightly. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
More Like This
Recent Posts by A Southern Soul
Most Popular on BlogHer
Mom has a lot to check off her list this Summer, and Kellogg's cereal can help her get it done. How will you make the most of your Summer? Check out our blog posts as we share with you inspirational ideas for celebrating the moments of magic that will happen during this activity-filled time of year! PLUS enter for a chance to win as $100 Walmart gift card! Read more