Are you happy in your current situation? Your "Limiting Beliefs" might be holding you back. What are they?
Limiting Beliefs are those little stories that we’ve told ourselves for so long, that we begin to believe them. Over time they become part of who we are and we hang on to those beliefs as if they were God’s own truth. But, these beliefs can really limit our growth, our relationships and our joy.
Limiting beliefs sound like this:
- I’m just not good at math
- I’m not a natural/leader manager, people don’t respect me
- I’ll always be in debt
- I could never be a CEO
- All corporations are greedy and exploitative and abuse their employees
- I’m not cut out to be an athlete
- I’m not talented in that area, I’ll never be accomplished
- I could never afford a luxury vacation
- Religions divide people
- Most people are trying to take advantage of me
I had a whole host of limiting beliefs that held me back and made me miserable. But, perhaps my biggest limiting belief was that I thought I didn’t have any. This is probably pretty typical. We don’t realize all the little stories we’ve been telling ourselves until we begin to become more aware. Try observing yourself for a day or two. Are there any areas where you’re being held back by your limiting beliefs?
Here’s a situation I experienced recently… I needed to create a very complicated report using excel. My mind started to go down that path, “Ohh, I hate excel. I’m not good at math. I don’t know how to do this.” I took a step back and changed my story, “Numbers and formulas are fun. I’m a wiz at reports. I can whip this out in no time.” Guess what? I did it AND it was fun!
Henry Ford once said, “Whether you believe you can or you can’t, either way, you are right.”
Stop limiting yourself. Believe you can do anything, and you will!
- – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - - - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - -
I wrote a story about how realizing my limiting beliefs helped me to find my joy. Read the story here.