How to Tell If You're Secretly a Homesteader
By Lazy Hippie Mama on February 11, 2014
Featured Member Post
We are a society that dearly loves to label things. I've been thinking, lately about how to know if you can officially label yourself as a homesteader. The modern definition of homesteading has become quite fluid, but I think it's safe to say you might be a homesteader (at least in spirit) if ...
1. You've ever gone to the Tractor Supply Company in the spring to oooh and aaah over the little baby chicks and ducks.
2. You know that Tractor Supply Company is full of little baby chicks and ducks in the spring.
3. You've seen a stack of pallets on the side of the road and thought, "Do you know what I could build with that?!"
4. You've ever stuffed your nose into a stiff, scratchy, line-dried towel, taken a huge sniff and thought, "Ahhhh. The smell of sunshine!"
5. You know whether or not the worm population in your yard is thriving.
6. You've picked food scraps out of the garbage can, while yelling over your shoulder, "How many times have I told you this goes in the compost?"
7. You use the same product as oil for cooking, deodorant and split-end repair for your hair.
8. You consider your grain mill more important than your microwave.
9. You know the difference between Traditional and Tattler lids.
10. Your neighbors get really excited when they see you coming during tomato season.
11. You're more likely to build a bat house than spray for mosquitoes.
12. Your mail person gives you dirty looks during seed catalog delivery season.
13. You've ever gotten really excited over a box of Mason jars at a rummage sale.
14. You're not sure how much a loaf of bread costs because you're used to making it yourself.
15. You're surviving this winter by telling yourself things like, "Well … it will make for a great sap run."
Are you a homesteader in your heart? How do you know?
Are you, too, seeking to save the earth, promote world peace and raise productive citizens without expending too much effort?
If we work on our goals together, they may be a little easier to achieve!
More Like This
Recent Posts by Lazy Hippie Mama
Most Popular on BlogHer
Save time, money and space with the FoodSaver® Vacuum Sealing System! AND it keeps food fresh up to 5x longer! Read our bloggers' experiences with the FoodSaver® System and see why you should get one for your home. Plus get a chance to win $100 Visa gift card! Read more
Most Popular on Work/Life
Recent Comments on Work/Life
By April Boddie