Asian Braised Short Ribs
For some totally strange reason I have the biggest culinary geek crush on braised short ribs. Romantic, right? For me they are just the bees knees of beef dishes. Short ribs are cooked low and slow and braised in a broth, in this case an Asian-flavored broth. As you cook them the meat becomes rich and tender beyond words. It falls off the bone and is pretty much irresistible. When so many of you requested that I make some slow cooker recipes for the blog, I knew this had to be the first one on the list.
They key to any great braised dish (chicken, brisket, short ribs) is what you cook it in. The sauce and seasonings that start the dish are responsible for your results many hours later. To make an Asian-inspired broth I combined a number of ingredients, including garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and Chinese five spice. The sauce coats and cooks the meat, and then you remove the meat and let the sauce reduce. The broth turns into a sweet, spicy, and tangy glaze. OMG. It was so good I'm drooling thinking about it. I've included recipe variations for both a slow cooker and cooking them in the oven in a cast iron pot. Serve the short ribs over mashed potatoes or rice; something to soak up all the good stuff!
- 5 lbs bone in beef short ribs (go to your meat counter and ask)
- salt and pepper
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 2 tbs fresh ginger
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 large carrots
- 2-3 stalks celery
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs Sriracha
- 1 tbs Chinese five spice
- 3 tbs brown sugar
- 2 tbs sesame oil
- 1 box (32 oz) chicken stock + water as necessary
- 1 orange, zest peeled with a peeler
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- sliced scallions, for garnish
- If you are cooking the short ribs in the oven, preheat it to 350 degrees. If you are cooking in a slow cooker, have it ready to go.
- Use a grater or electric food processor with a grater blade to process the garlic, ginger, onion, carrots, and celery. Pulse until all of the ingredients are finely chopped. Add the soy sauce, sriracha, Chinese five spice, and brown sugar. Pulse to combine.
- Season the short ribs on all sides with salt and pepper. Heat a large, cast iron pot over medium-high heat. Add the sesame oil to the pan and brown the short ribs for roughly 10 minutes, or 2-3 minutes per side. From here you have two choices:
- ) add the blended mixture to the pot along with the orange juice and sliced orange zest. Cover the ribs with the chicken stock and any additional water necessary so that the ribs are just submerged in water. Cover with your baking lid and bake for roughly 3 hours, checking every hour to make sure there is enough water in the pan.
- ) you can cook the short ribs in a slow cooker. Remove the ribs from the cast iron pan and place them in the slow cooker. Add the blended mixture, orange juice and zest, and again cover with stock and water as necessary. Cook according to your slow cooker directions, but for roughly 6 hours on medium-high heat.
- Remove the short ribs from the braising liquid and cover with foil. Increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees and cook, uncovered, for 15 minute or until the broth is reduced and thickened.
- Serve the braised short ribs over mashed potatoes or rice with the reduced sauce. Top with sliced scallions and sesame seeds for garnish.
More Like This
Recent Posts by jamielavarnway
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Recipes
Recent Comments on Recipes