Asparagus Casserole - A Delicious Side Dish
December is BlogHer's Month of Side Dishes, and we want you to share your favorite side! Click here to see how to play along. And check out all the sides we're craving in the Month of Side Dishes series.
In our family, we have a tradition every Thanksgiving and Christmas. We make the traditional Turkey and a wonderful family recipe of sausage dressing that you could make a meal of by itself, but one of our family's favorite side dishes is Asparagus Casserole. Cooking and preparing for the holidays begin the week of Thanksgiving -- shopping, cleaning, pulling out the Christmas ornaments, and preparing the Turkey, pies, and side dishes that we all enjoy so much.
This Thanksgiving I want to share one of our family favorites - Asparagus Casserole!
3-5 cans of cut Asparagus Spears
A squirt of Lemon Juice
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
2 cans of Campbells Cream of Mushroom Soup
A stick of butter
A stick and 1/2 of Saltine Crackers
Salt & Pepper
1. Drain the cut Asparagus spears and place them in the bottom of a large casserole dish
2. In a mixing bowl, mix the 2 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup with whole milk. Keep adding the milk until the consistency is not thick, but not runny. I never measure it, I just keep adding the milk and stirring until it is a thick but moveable consistency. It is a little less than 1 cup of milk usually for 2 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup.
Add a squirt of lemon juice to taste.
Add a dash of salt and pepper to the mixture. Mix it all together with a large spoon.
3. Pour the mixture over the Asparagus in the casserole dish.
4. Sprinkle some paprika over the top of the casserole mixture in the casserole dish.
5. Add a layer of shredded cheddar cheese to the top of the mixture.
6. In a saucepan or skillet, heat a stick of butter and let it melt slowly.
7. While the butter is melting, take an unopened stick of saltine crackers and put them in a freezer bag. Drop it on the floor and stomp on it until the crackers are nice and smashed.
8. Pour the crackers into the skillet or saucepan of completely melted butter and stir.
9. Cook the cracker crumbs until most of them are nice and brown.
10. Pour the cracker crumbs over the casserole - on top of the cheese layer now.
11. Cook in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
12. Mouthwatering Asparagus casserole for the entire family! Yummy.
Now I've got to help my Big Bear prepare dinner. He does the Turkey, I make my Asparagus Casserole, and the children help us prepare the rest, set the table and enjoy our time together. I hope you enjoy our family's recipe! Let me know if you make it to share with your family too.
This recipe serves 4-6, depending on how hungry everybody is come dinnertime!!
Would you like to take this recipe home with you? Here you go!