Avocado Cilantro Raita
By Kitchen kemistry on April 13, 2012
Another cooling raita with the 'good' bacteria to help in digestion. Nutrient rich avocado and citrusy cilantro pair together to make a creamy raita for Pilau and Rotis.
1 cup plain unflavored yogurt (I used non-fat strained greek yogurt)
2 ripe californian Avocado (roughly chopped)
1/4 cup Cilantro leaves (finely chopped)
1/2 teaspoon Lemon juice
2 tablespoons Cashewnut powder * Pulverize 10 cashews to make a coarse powder
1 Green Chilli (finely chopped) * Optional, can be substitued with 1/4 teaspoon red chilli or white pepper powder
1/4 teaspoon Black Mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon Cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon Garam Masala powder
1/4 teaspoon Sugar
1 teaspoon Oil for tempering
Salt to taste
- Sprinkle lemon juice over the chopped avocados to prevent discolouration.
- Whisk the yogurt with salt, sugar, green chillies, cashewnut powder, cumin powder and garam masala in a bowl. Mix avocados and yogurt.
- Heat oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds. Let it splutter (use a splatter screen to prevent a mess on your countertop). Add cilantro leaves and fry for about 30 seconds.
- Pour tempering over the yogurt and avocado mixture. Garnish with few slices of avocado and a sprig of cilantro.
- Serve chilled with rice, rotis or use it as a dip for chips.
For More recipes check http://kitchenkemistry.wordpress.com/
Tip - The method you use to peel an avocado can make a difference to your health. Carotenoids in avocado occurs in the dark green flesh that lies just beneath the skin. You don't want to slice into that dark green portion when you are peeling an avocado. The best method is called the "nick and peel" method. In this method, you actually end up peeling the avocado with your hands in the same way that you would peel a banana. Source: http://www.whfoods.com/
More Like This
Recent Posts by Kitchen kemistry
Most Popular on BlogHer
Mom has a lot to check off her list this Summer, and Kellogg's cereal can help her get it done. How will you make the most of your Summer? Check out our blog posts as we share with you inspirational ideas for celebrating the moments of magic that will happen during this activity-filled time of year! PLUS enter for a chance to win as $100 Walmart gift card! Read more
Most Popular on Recipes
Crunchy on the outside ~ moist on the inside ~ top with anything you like. My new favorite chicken recipe!
Recent Comments on Recipes