Sweet potatoes are one of the most nutrient dense foods you can eat. I like to experiment with different ways to get them into my diet and this bacon and egg stuffed sweet potato recipe is a winner. This is one of those versatile recipes that you could serve for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
This is all you need to make bacon and egg stuffed sweet potatoes.
Start by baking the potatoes and cooking the bacon. In this recipe, I find that baking the bacon is the easiest method since there is already something baking in the oven. I bake my bacon on the same baking sheet as the potatoes. The bacon I used needed to cook for 20 minutes so I added the bacon to the sheet with the potatoes when the potatoes had 20 minutes left to cook. Blot off any excess fat from the cooked bacon and crumble it.
Cut the potatoes in half and spoon out the middle leaving about 1/2 inch of the potato in its skin. Divide the bacon between the potato halves.
Add an egg to each potato. Then, top with sliced onions, salt and pepper. Bake until the eggs are done to your preference. I cooked them at 350 degrees for 18 minutes for a slightly runny yolk and 23 minutes for hard yolks.
I like to let the stuffed potatoes cool for a couple of minutes and then top them with salsa.
Recipe adapted from Egg-Stuffed Baked Potato.
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 slices bacon (maple bacon works great in this)
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tbsp. green onions, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- salsa (optional)
- Scrub the potatoes under running water and dry them off well. Prick the potatoes with a fork a couple of times on two sides. Place on a baking sheet and bake in a 375 degree oven for 1 hour total, flipping over half way through cooking.
- Cook the bacon according to the package directions. Blot off any excess fat with paper towels.
- Once the bacon and potatoes are cool enough to handle, crumble the bacon, slice the potatoes in half, and scoop out the middle of the potato leaving about ½ inch of the potato in its skin. Put the potato halves back on the baking sheet.
- Divide the crumbled bacon between the 4 potato halves. Add one egg to each potato. Top each potato with one tbsp. green onions and salt and pepper to your preference.
- Bake the stuffed potatoes in a 350 degree oven until the eggs are done to your liking. I like my eggs to have slightly runny yolks so I cooked mine for 18 minutes. My husband likes his eggs cooked through so I cooked his for 23 minutes.
- Optional – Top with salsa.