Baking Soda: Miracle in a Box!
By MamaJenney on November 13, 2012
I am not kidding when I say I could not live my daily life without baking soda! Seriously, this is one of the most amazing substances on Earth. Not only is it used as a leavening in nearly all cake and cookie recipes, but you can also use it for a variety of other health, beauty and household purposes. Here are 25 things that you can do with this miraculous substance!
- Brush your teeth… a paste of baking soda and water will clean your teeth, remove coffee and tea stains and freshen breath.
- Wash your hair.
- Make your own homemade deodorant
- Use as a gentle but effective scouring powder for sinks, tubs, stove tops… anywhere!
- Bake some soda bread.
- Make a cool erupting volcano.
- Make a paste of baking soda and water and apply to bee stings and insect bites.
- Put some in a bath to relieve the itch of poison ivy and other skin irritations.
- Use to scrub away stuck on food from pots and pans.
- Add a teaspoon to a glass of water to make a mouthwash/gargle to freshen your breath
- The above mouthwash is also good for relieving canker sores.
- Sprinkle in your sneakers to eliminate odors.
- Keep an open container in the back of the fridge and freezer to minimize food odors.
- Use it to clean your toilets… sprinkle some in, scrub and flush.
- Clear a slow drain by putting in a half-cup of baking soda, then pour in some vinegar. Follow by flushing with hot water.
- Make Laundry Soap.
- Cure heartburn by drinking a glass of water mixed with ½ teaspoon of baking soda.
- Use as a fruit and veggie wash.
- Freshen rugs and carpets by sprinkling them with baking soda, let sit for an hour or so, then vacuum.
- A paste of baking soda and water can be used to remove water rings from wood furniture.
- Sprinkle in the litter box, to keep it smelling fresher.
- Use as a hand scrub to remove garlic and onion odors.
- Remove coffee stains from cups and coffee makers.
- Freshen up your garbage disposal with baking soda… pour some in, and flush with warm water.
- Remove food odors from plastic containers by soaking in a baking soda solution.
Do you have any favorite uses for baking soda not mentioned here?
More Like This
Recent Posts by MamaJenney
Most Popular on BlogHer