Banana Bread with Honey Butter
The only time I think about making Banana Bread is when the Bananas are starting to turn brown. You really want the ugly browning bananas to make the most delicious banana bread. The more ugly a banana is, the better the bread will be.
I wrote the recipe the way I make it. You might think it's strange that I puree the bananas instead of mashing them like mom did. Growing up I never knew if I was biting into a banana chunk or a raw piece. It's not only a texture thing for me but by blending the bananas it distributes beautifully throughout the yummy bread. Every bite is loaded with Banana flavor.. just not pieces.. Feel free to mash your bananas if thats what you like.
The Perfect Banana Bread "Banana"
Everybody has their favorite Banana Bread recipe and here is mine.
- For the Banana Bread:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 overripe bananas (pureed in a blender or food processor)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup nuts, toasted & chopped
- For the Honey Butter:
- 1 stick salted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt - set aside.
- Beat butter & sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes then add eggs & sour cream. Add pureed bananas and vanilla. Fold in dry ingredients and nuts. Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Honey Butter: Mix the butter and the honey together in a small bowl until combined. Serve with the banana bread.
You can do SO MUCH MORE with Bananas that are turning ripe too fast.
FREEZE THEM.. First you MUST peel the banana before you freeze it or it's ridiculously hard to get the peel off. After you peel the banana, re-wrap it with parchment paper, wax paper, cling wrap, etc. Once you have the peeled bananas re-wrapped, store in the freezer in a ziplock bag. You can make SOOOOO many great smoothies, shakes and desserts from frozen banana. Even HEALTHY, super fast vegan ice cream. (I will be sharing that recipe in the next few days) The frozen banana gives an incredible creaminess to any recipe.