Banana is my Dawg: Megan's Misheard Lyrics
By MomentswithMegan on April 16, 2010
Have you ever been singing a song with all your heart, only to have a friend laugh at you for singing the wrong lyrics? Yep, that happens to me all the time. My misheard lyrics, or mondegreens, have become fodder for many of my friends' jokes. To see my most talked about misheard lyrics and to listen for yourselves, please read the rest.
Acknowledgment: Thanks to Megan Rivers for giving me the idea to write this post! Please feel free to listen to the actual part of the song that I misheard. I've embedded a player below. :o).
- Lil Wayne and Bobby Valentino's "Mrs. Officer"
- Megan's way: "When I get up all in your kabuki, hear the angels callin' us, spooky!"
- Actual lyric: "When I get up all in ya (yeah), we hear the angels callin' us (chea)."
- My justification: A kabuki, much like female genitalia, opens and closes. And if you are doing...something...with someone and you heard angels calling you, wouldn't that be spooky?
- Listen to: 0:34-0:41
- Ray J and Yung Berg's "Sexy Can I"
- Megan's way: "Sexy cannon"
- Actual lyric: "Sexy can I"
- My justification: I thought he was calling his...ahem...a sexy cannon because it's big, black, hard, and ready to explode. I didn't know the title of the song for a long time.
- Listen to: 0:13-0:15
- Lil Wayne's "Man I Miss my Dogs"
- Megan's way: "Banana is my dog...we'd do poetry...banana!"
- Actual lyric: "Man I miss my dogs...we'd blow a tree...I'll say it again."
- My justification: I'm 99.9% sure that one of the Cash Money rappers has a food nickname. Also, Lil Wayne always raps about food! As far as the poetry goes, I just thought he was trying to show his sensitive side. I didn't know the title of the song for a long time.
- Listen to: 1:16-1:42
- Jodeci's "Love U 4 Life"
- Megan's way: "Your love is violent" or "Your love is violins"
- Actual lyric: "Your love is why I live"
- My justification: I was a little kid when this song came out. That's all I can say.
- Listen to:1:10-1:14
- Kanye West and Jamie Foxx's "Gold Digger"
- Megan's way: "With a baby who was for Tom under her underarm."
- Actual lyric: "With a baby Louis Vuitton under her underarm."
- My justification: I thought Kanye was talking about how the girl had the nerve to have some other man's [Tom's] baby with her while she was hustling him for money.
- Listen to: 0:39-0:43
- Johnny Gill's "My, My, My"
- Megan's way: "I'm gonna shove you."
- Actual lyric: "I'm gonna show you."
- My justification: I thought that after he saw the woman all dressed up and looking nice, he'd be so excited that he would shove her.
- Listen to: 1:02-1:06
- Michael Jackson's "Jam"
- Megan's way: "You ate through a basketball meat--jam" or "You ate through a vegetable--jam" or "You ate through a bench for me--jam"
- Actual lyric: "It ain't too much for me to jam"
- My justification: In "Wanna be Startin' Somethin," he says, "You're a vegetable." Also, the video was about basketball, so I thought he was trying to say that Michael Jordan is a great player because he ate through a basketball meat or a bench for him.
- Listen to: 2:38-2:44
- Blossom TV show theme song, "My Opinionation"
- Megan's way: "Pull up your pants, dancer! I'll give you a piece of my mind." and "Slap on your p*ssy! Sit down and smile!"
- Actual lyric: "Fire up you pad and pencil! I'll give you a piece of my mind." and "Stop all your fussin'! Slap on a smile!"
- My justification: The show's opening looked so happy and carefree that these things made perfect sense.
- Listen to 0:09-0:14 and 0:24-0:37
- Bob Dylan's "Most Likely You'll go Your way (and I'll go Mine)"
- Megan's way: "I wanna lick yo' a*s. Yeah I love a*s!"
- Actual lyric: "I'm gonna let you pass. And I'll go last!"
- My justification: They play this at my job, and everybody thought they were saying that. Customers, too.
- Listen to: 0:39-0:47
READERS: Did you ever have any trouble understanding these songs? What songs have you or your friends had trouble with? Please share below!
More Like This
Recent Posts by MomentswithMegan
Most Popular on BlogHer
There’s no better vehicle to bring the family together than the Chevy Traverse. It’s the ultimate family vehicle, and the inspiration behind the tales that these bloggers are sharing about those special moments spent with their families. Check out the posts to see just how different, and, in many ways, the same, family time is nowadays as compared to when the bloggers were younger. Read more
Most Popular on Entertainment
Recent Comments on Entertainment
By Tammy Soong
By Tammy Soong