Basic Guacamole + 5 Ways to Use it that Don't Involve Tortilla Chips!
By glutenfreegigi on May 31, 2014
Guacamole is super-simple to make, and goes with just about every meal you can imagine, so don’t reserve this healthy condiment for Mexican night only!
I’m sharing a basic recipe here, but feel free to dress it up as you wish. I’m no guacamole purist, either. I’ve been known to add a pinch of allspice, cinnamon and a variety of diced roasted veggies to mine. The only rule you must follow is to make it how you love it!
Oh! One more tip: Make your guacamole on a plate instead of in a bowl. I learned this from my friends at California Avocados Direct when I visited their gorgeous avocado ranch a few years ago. Here I am on the ranch with Farmer Ben, expert avocado grower!
Once you mix up your special recipe and spice it just right, get creative with how you use it.
Here are my 5 favorite uses for a freshly made bowl of guac that have nothing to do with tortilla chips!
1. Use it as a sandwich spread instead of mayo for a rich, creamy texture and a bright flavor that complements all sorts of sandwich fillings.
2. Thin guacamole with a bit of liquid (water, unsweetened coconut milk, olive or avocado oil, blood orange vinegar, etc.) for a super flavorful salad dressing.
3. Top your next bowl of chili with a spoonful.
4. Spread guacamole on toasted gluten-free bread and top with a sunny side up egg for a smashing breakfast.
5. Spread on chicken breasts before baking in the oven for a flavorful main dish.
What are your favorite ways to enjoy guacamole?
Here’s my basic recipe.
Prep time: 5 mins
Total time: 5 mins
This recipe is free from gluten, dairy, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, grains, added sugars.
- 3 ripe avocados, cut in half, pit removed and peeled
- Juice from 1 lime (Sometimes, I add in a bit of the lime zest, too.)
- 1 small sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded, core removed and finely diced
- 1-2 teaspoons minced fresh jalapeno pepper (optional)
- Hearty pinch of Maldon sea salt (or other salt of choice)
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Mash 2 of the avocados onto a plate.
- Dice the remaining avocado and add it, lime juice, onion, tomato, jalapeno and salt to the mashed avocado.
- Use a large fork to combine ingredients gently.
- Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
Don’t miss another delish dish! Sign up for my free eNewsletter, the Daily Gluten Free Fix, and have each new recipe and article delivered to your inbox.
While you’re here, browse the Recipe Index for recipes free from gluten, dairy, soy, peanuts, and tree nuts. And be sure to explore my vast collection of “Smart Nutrition Backed by Science” articles in the Knowledge section and check out eBooks in the Shop.
If you’re NEW TO GLUTEN FREE LIVING, click on over to the Essentials.
Access the current issue of Food Solutions Magazine ~ it’s free to everyone!
More Like This
Recent Posts by glutenfreegigi
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Lori Luna
Sparkling ICE is a bold flavored sparkling water that truly delivers on taste and contains just the right amount of fizz. Read our bloggers' posts and get more details on how you can enter the Flavor Face Off plus find out more about the delicious flavors that Sparkling ICE has to offer. Read more
Most Popular on Food
Recent Comments on Food
By Kalyn Denny