Beautiful skin is more than skin deep.
Skin is an obvious indicator of health and when you’re not feeling well, it shows.
Instead of hoping for a quick fix when skin reacts under stressful situations, it’s a much better idea to adopt habits that will give you the healthy skin you want for life. The little things you do every day have a bigger impact on the way your skin looks like than any one-time cure ever will. The good news is that habits that are good for your health also tend to improve the look of your skin. That’s quite the added bonus!
Good skin habits are surprisingly easy to add to your routine. Here are eight simple things you can do for fabulous skin every day:
1. Wash your face every night. Getting rid of the makeup, oil, and sweat that’s accumulated on your face throughout the day gives your skin a breather while you rest. I use a mild cleanser to wash everything off - no separate eye make-up remover for me. What can I say? I’m lazy. If you suffer from breakouts and blemishes, a gentle cleanser with salicylic acid, like the Olay Pro-X Clear Pore Clarifying Cleanser, part of the Pro-X Clear Acne Protocol, can reduce oil and help prevent new acne from forming.
2. Moisturize! All skin types can benefit from a daily application of moisturizer, just be sure to choose the right one for your skin type and the season. You may prefer a lighter lotion when its hot out, for example, but be sure your daytime moisturizers provide SPF protection. Just look for a non-comedogenic formula that won’t clog pores, like the Olay Pro-X Clear Complexion Renewing Lotion, also part of the Pro-X Clear Acne Protocol. For daytime, choose a moisturizer that also provides SPF protection. Which brings us to our next point...
3. Stay out of the sun. It’s true: One of the best things you can do for your skin is to protect it from the sun. Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen every day (yes, even in the winter) to protect it from the sun's damaging rays. Pro-X Clear UV Moisturizer SPF 15, is a great lightweight, oil-free formula that offers daytime UV protection without clogging pores. Thankfully, suntans are hopelessly out of style, but if you insist on bronzed skin try one of the many self-tanners available -- don't risk your health and beauty for a tan.
4. Stay on top of it. Don’t wait for your skin to break out to do something about it. There are products available that can help keep your complexion issues under control. Try Olay Pro-X Clear Acne Protocol, a 3-step daily skin care regimen formulated with clinically proven technology that helps reduce blemishes and bring recurring breakouts under control for clearer skin.
5. Quit smoking. Smoking is very dangerous for your health, but it also causes visible skin damage, as this slide show comparing twins who smoke and don’t smoke shows. Smoking deprives your skin of oxygen and floods your system with harmful chemicals -- some of which trigger the destruction of collagen and elastin, the fibers that give your skin the ability to bounce back. The result? Sagging skin and uneven skin tone. Quitting is smoking is good for both your health and your looks, the sooner the better.
6. Drink up! Hydrated skin is beautiful skin. Are you getting enough water for healthy skin? Try the pinch test: Pinch the skin on the back of your hand -- if it doesn’t snap right back, chances are you need to drink more water.
7. Exercise. Everyone knows that exercise is good for you, but did you know exercise affects the way your skin looks as well? One of the benefits of regular exercise is improved circulation, so more nutrient rich blood and reaches your skin -- feeding it and giving you that youthful glow.
8. Go to sleep. Not getting enough sleep releases stress hormones, and we know that skin tends to break out in times of stress. In addition, chronic exposure to stress hormones can lead your body to release more steroids which can decrease the production of collagen -- the building block of youthful skin. Go to bed at a consistent time and try to get all the sleep you need to be healthy and look your best, every day.
New Olay Pro-X Clear is a total skincare solution for adults with acne. Designed by a team of leading dermatologists and skin scientists, it helps stop the frustrating cycle of breakouts and blemishes. It has clinically proven technology to reduce blemishes. Plus, it reduces uneven texture and minimizes the look of pores. To learn more, visit us online.