The BEST Cream Cheese Frosting Ever!
By glutenfreegigi on June 28, 2014
I don’t usually make those “best ever” claims. I mean, really… of course my *whatever* is going to be the best ever. Yours is, too, right?
BUT, when it comes to cream cheese frosting, I really do stand by my claim. I’ve been making this recipe for decades. At one time, I could actually eat it. (Since I’ve been dairy-free for several years, I use Fluffy Dairy-Free Frosting. It’s delish!).
I still make this cream cheese frosting for my family and friends and they all agree it’s The BEST Cream Cheese Frosting Ever.
So what’s my big secret? I don’t use butter. That’s right, straight up cream cheese, no butter needed. It’s great, with a more prominent cream cheese flavor. This recipe makes a big batch, enough for a 2-layer cake, sheet cake or a couple dozen cupcakes (unless you’re as heavy handed as I am with frosting on cupcakes, then you may only get 18 frosted. I’m so bad.)
And since you’re going whole hog… er, cow… and making a recipe with dairy, I really recommend using heavy whipping cream instead of regular milk in the frosting. It gives it that little extra fluffiness and richness that frosting needs.
Total time: 10 mins
This recipe is free from gluten, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, eggs and can be made corn-free if you use corn-free confectioners' sugar. Learn to make your own corn-free confectioners' sugar!
- 8 ounces full fat cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 - 4 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream (or milk)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Combine cream cheese and 2 cups confectioners' sugar in a stand mixer (or in a mixing bowl to be used with hand mixer); beat until smooth.
- Add the cream and vanilla; whip, then add remaining confectioners' sugar, 1 cup at a time.
- Beat until smooth and fluffy.
This post originally appeared on GlutenFreeGigi.com.