Best place to raise a family?
By ashleyhasopinions on October 05, 2011
I recently came upon an article listing the best cities in America to raise kids. Eagerly, I clicked the link to see which cities made the list (so I could take mental notes, of course), but to my astonishment I saw the top spot belonged to...
The article goes on to say that it has vibrant architecture, inspiring monuments, great mom and pop eateries, and historic museums. Okay, all true. But to me there are other reasons I might NOT want to raise kids here.
1. Approximately 60,000 D.C. residents are ex-cons
**Let's shed further light here: there are about 600,000 people in D.C. That's 1 in 10 who've spent time in the slammer.**
2. Unemployment is among the highest in the nation at 11.1%
**That's 2% above the nation's average.**
3. Over half of teenage students attend schools that meet the District's definition of "persistently dangerous"; across the city, nine violent crimes at schools are reported on a typical day
4. The education system is one of the highest-spending and lowest-performing in the nation
5. The city ranks #15 among most dangerous cities in America
6. The murder rate is four times the national average, even with some of the strictest gun control laws in the US
**Maybe that's the problem...see video below**
But hey, if PARENTING Magazine says it's awesome, who cares about these so-called statistics?
After all, former D.C. mayor Marion Barry once said,
"Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country."
I don't know about you, but that makes me feel much better.
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
Amazon's ‘The Man In the High Castle’ Makes Us Think About Racism, Anti-Semitism and Fascism in America
The LG Top-Load Washer has the largest capacity in top load washers in its class while the EasyLoad™ Dryer allows users to easily transfer clothes through the top to minimize bending and dropping clothes on the floor making it easier than ever to drop in and unload laundry! Read more and see how you can simplify the household chores. Read more
Most Popular on Politics
Recent Comments on Politics