Blackened Monkfish with Mango Salsa
By pantrydoctor on June 17, 2014
How do you get through the week? This simple dinner is super easy, and full of flavor. I am discovering new places to shop and source food after my move to New Jersey. As I was purusing the fish counter, I came across monkfish. Known as poor man's lobster, this meaty fish is more like a steak.
2) To blacken the fish, heat a cast iron skillet on high so that it gets really hot. Rub the seasoning over the fish on both sides, and lay fresh dill on the fish. I use 2 tsp of Kerrygold grass-fed butter in the hot skillet, then blacken the fish on one side for 2 minutes. Flip the fish over, and pour another tsp of butter over each filet while it is cooking. To learn more about why I use grass-fed products click here.
3) For the mango salsa: you will need a fresh mango, avocado, and cherry tomatoes.
4) Slice up the cherry tomatoes, avocado, and mango.
5) Top fish with the salsa. I served this with roasted butternut squash, green beans and red onion. It's so easy!
Pantry Doctor Fish Rub:
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp Trader Joes 21 seasoning mix
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- fresh dill
- 2 monkfish filets
- 4 tsp Kerrygold grass-fed butter
- fish rub
- 1 mango
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
Try this with side my simple side of roasted butternut squash.
Have you every tried poor man's lobster?
-Wendie Schneider RDN, MBA "The Pantry Doctor"
More Like This
Recent Posts by pantrydoctor
Most Popular on BlogHer
There’s no better vehicle to bring the family together than the Chevy Traverse. It’s the ultimate family vehicle, and the inspiration behind the tales that these bloggers are sharing about those special moments spent with their families. Check out the posts to see just how different, and, in many ways, the same, family time is nowadays as compared to when the bloggers were younger. Read more
Most Popular on Food
Tyson Fresh Chicken Reviews
With a little help from Tyson Fresh Chicken, bloggers share their favorite chicken recipes for mealtime with the family. Read their posts and enter for a chance to win a kitchen goods gift basket!