Blog this today: How many women's lives can we save with donations from the BlogHer community, between now and Mother's Day?
By Lisa Stone on April 07, 2008
BlogHer Original Post
How many women's lives can we save with donations from the BlogHer community, between now and Mother's Day, May 11, 2008? If you will download this widget today and encourage your readers to donate, we can find out. Won't you join us?
Here's what we're up to: As part of our BlogHers Act commitment to make a difference on the issue of maternal health, BlogHer has joined forces with Global Giving to help save women's lives and we need your help.
I'm really proud of the work the BlogHer community has done in the last six months, blogging about serious issues related to maternal health and supporting legislation to help American women suffering from post-partum depression.
Now it's time for us to take it to the next level and work with our readers to raise money to support organizations working on the most crucial issues in global maternal health:
Our Maternal Health Projects:
* Mother and Child Clinic in Nepal: $10 - 2 days' operating costs for the Clinic OR a year's worth of care for 5 women and children
* Help Afghan Women Deliver Healthy Babies Safely: $25 - 20 women will have improved quality of life through reproductive healthcare and education
* Ensure Healthcare for 40,000+ Displaced Darfurians: $25 - Trains 2 Traditional Birthing Attendants (includes 3 training sessions and training materials)
* Empower Women to End HIV/AIDS Stigma, South Africa: $50 - 2 women living with HIV/AIDS can receive counseling
* Noon Meal Improves Girls' Learning in Burkina Faso: $15 - Provides a noon meal for 50 students for one day.
Take Action Now:
2) Share this information with your readers by blogging about maternal health, or this BlogHers Act initiative, or the individual project you're supporting.
3) Leave your link at the bottom of this post, using Mr Linky, so
others can hear your thoughts on these issues. (We'll also be featuring
many of you on BlogHer.com and in our newsletters.)
4) Donate to save women's lives, today.
Get the widget here: http://www.clearspring.com/widgets/47f4f6fb77077b5d
Get the button code:
Copy this code:
<a href="/bloghers-act-donate-now-save-womens-lives"><img src="/files/BlogHers%20Act%20Donate%20Now.gif" alt="BlogHers Act:
Donate Now to Save Women's Lives" width="128" height="128"
Visit our information page to get great information on why women across the world need your help:
* Every year, 529,000 women die from pregnancy-related causes.
* Children who have lost their mothers are up to 10 more times more likely to die prematurely than those who haven’t.
* More than 80 per cent of maternal deaths worldwide are due to five
direct causes: haemorrhage, sepsis, unsafe abortion, obstructed labour
and hypertensive disease of pregnancy.
* Most maternal deaths (61 per cent) take place during labour, delivery
or in the immediate post-partum period. Some 3.4 million newborns die
within the first week of life.
As someone who is like a broken record about the extraordinary power of women who read and write blogs, I'm excited to see what we can do together. Thank you in advance for your help -- I encourage you to blog this now: BlogHer's powerful community and GlobalGiving kick off donation initiative to save women's lives in Afghanistan, Burkina Faso, Darfur, Nepal, South Africa.
I'm proud to be part of a community that speaks for and invests in other women. Let's do this.
Follow BlogHer on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/BlogHer-28615
More Like This
Recent Posts by Lisa Stone
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Kim Court
Most Popular on Health
Recent Comments on Health
By Deb Rox