Where Can You Find Great Photo Bloggers? Read This.
By JennaHatfield on September 01, 2011
BlogHer Original Post
Today's photo bloggers are showing us more than just a pretty picture. They're giving us a glimpse into their lives, what they do when they're not snapping away. From little bits and pieces of their descriptions, we learn a bit about what makes them tick and click. Photo bloggers interact with one another on the blogosphere by more than just commenting on their blogs. They participate in weekly photo challenges, submit to Flickr groups and encourage one another to do better
[Editor's note: Another great photography tip from the BlogHer archives (our vault is vast and deep) that I'm pulling out for the Month of Photo Tips: Find photo bloggers to inspire you. Jenna has done just that with this list. Warning: Don't click these links until you have time to gaze, and gaze, and gaze ... - Julie]
If a photo is worth a thousand words, a photo blog speaks infinitely about who's behind the camera. As a photographer myself, I scour the net for new, different and inspiring photo blogs on a regular basis. I do so for ideas to incorporate in my own photography. I do so to learn more about the craft. But mostly I do so because photo blogs are amazing in so many ways.
Today's photo bloggers are showing us more than just a pretty picture. They're giving us a glimpse into their lives, what they do when they're not snapping away. From little bits and pieces of their descriptions, we learn a bit about what makes them tick and click. Photo bloggers interact with one another on the blogosphere by more than just commenting on their blogs. They participate in weekly photo challenges, submit to Flickr groups and encourage one another to do better.
There are many different kinds of photo blogs. From the very beginner to the very professional, you can find a wide range of great photographers blogging their hearts out. Some of the most inspiring blogs are by those who make a career in photography but still find the time to share a little bit of photo-love with us. Sometimes professionals use their blogs solely as a way to showcase their best work. Sometimes they use it as an aside to show us what else they do. Here are some of my favorite professional photographers who hit the spot when it comes to blogging.
- Light Traces by Michelle Black - Photos, inspiration, tips, tricks and general awesomeness.
- Lisa Leonard - Her lovely personality shines through her photos and words.
- Tracey Clark - an amazing photographer who shares her knowledge via classes.
- Work of Heart Photo by Skye Hardwick - Amazing child photography. Amazing.
- Jessica Claire - From fabulous weddings to fluffy dogs, this is one amazing photographer.
Photo blogs can have different themes. I particularly like looking at sites that are participating in some variation of Project 365, a picture a day for an entire year. Similarly, there are other blogs that follow the 52 weeks theme, a photo (or series of photos) once a week for an entire year. These photo blogs are not perfect in nature but rather give a glimpse at what goes into the process of taking a photo every single day. They serve as a reminder and inspiration to get out and keep being creative. Here are some great examples of these themes in action.
- 36 Balloons by Heather Kennedy - a 52 week blog that brings light, life and happiness.
- A Tumblog About Photography by Ari Scott - Fantastic, creative, unique and expressive.
- The Yellow House by Cierra - food, cute babies and amazing tones; what more do you need?
- As I See It by Teri Argo - horses, dogs and two years of 365!
- 365 by Alecia - Who knew mops could look so good?
I love collaborative blogs, whether they are all about words, photos or a mish-mosh of the two. Collaborative photo blogs bring something special to the table, pulling talent from more than one place and exposing readers to even more awe-inspiring beauty.
- Shutter Sisters - a collaborative photo blog of amazing female photographers.
- I Heart Faces - weekly photo challenges and other great posts about photography.
- NieNie & You - A collaborative photo experiment from the inspirational NieNie -- she just closed it up but everything's still archived.
Lastly, I think some of my favorite photography blogs are the ones that either didn't start that way or, perhaps, aren't even specifically about photography. Food blogs fall into this niche as foodies have raised the bar as to what looks like good food on our computer screens. Parenting bloggers have also stepped it up and share amazing photos, sometimes winning awards. Writers as well have found another way to express themselves behind the lens of a camera. Here are some other blogs that bring the photo inspiration on a regular basis.
- Chookooloonks by Karen Walrond - Of course.
- The Pioneer Woman - Everything from photography to cooking to great blogging in general.
- I Should Be Folding Laundry by Beth Feldman - She won the Eye Candy award at the 2009 Social Luxe Awards. She also hosts a weekly challenge.
Do you have a photo blog? Do you have a favorite photo blog run by an amazing female photographer? Do you simply take stunning pictures and put them on your regular blog? Please share them with us. We could all use a little more inspiration.
Photo Credit: Lisa Omarali.
More Like This
Recent Posts by JennaHatfield
Most Popular on BlogHer
Lean Cuisine believes that women should be valued for their accomplishments as opposed to their weight/appearance. Lean Cuisine's new brand campaign Feed Your PhenomenalTM reflects its new brand purpose: to feed the greatness in every woman. Check out our bloggers' posts and see how they measure their true worth plus learn how you could win a $100. Read more
Most Popular on Photography
Recent Comments on Photography