Bloggers Who Can Help You Go from Corporate to Solo
By paulag01 on November 19, 2010
BlogHer Original Post
The transition from corporate to entrepreneur is a big leap of faith and making it successful requires support and knowledge on everything from sales to mindset. Where in the blogosphere can you turn for trustworthy advice, inspiration, and success stories from those who have walked the path before you?
I can remember my days in the cube once I had made the decision that I wanted to go solo. I yearned for a connection to people who could show me that I was not alone. People who could not only help me from a practical standpoint but also inspire me to know that it is indeed possible to work happy, do what you love, and earn a great living. It was around this same time that I started to discover blogs. Thankfully for me, I stumbled upon ones that truly fueled my journey. My transition from cube to solo took three years so I had plenty of time to read and learn before I said goodbye to the paycheck.
It's a brave new world when you make that leap but whether your desire is just an inkling or a full blown raging "I MUST do this" fire, these bloggers will help you make sense of it all. I know I personally am committed to helping people, especially women find careers that fit. That so often takes the form of branching out and starting a business. The loneliness I felt sitting in that cube with a dream is one of the things that truly inspired me to start my podcast series. I remember thinking - these are the women whose stories I needed to hear back then and that still inspire me today. And so my interview series was born.
As I was doing this roundup, I came across this article "Freelancing is NOT Employment with Freedom" and thought it is a great segue into the following list.
- Escape from Cubicle Nation. Pam Slim was (and continues to be) one of my primary inspirations when it comes to feeling the cube and starting a business. Her book of the same name is a must-have for anyone undergoing this inquiry.
- Now What? Coaching Blog. Laura Berman Fortgang offers up excellent career transition advice. Whether changing careers or starting a business you will be inspired and armed with practical tools. Quick disclaimer: I've used her process myself during my transition and am an authorized facilitator of her work. That said I include it here because it WORKS.
- Jonathan Fields, The Corporate Renegade. Oddly enough I didn't discover Jonathan's work until after I had already made the leap. That said he has some of the most meaningful and insightful posts that anyone leaving corporate and owning their own business can want to explore.
- Success in Sweatpants. Trish Lambert's blog is new to me, but offers an excellent roundup of things to consider for solo business success.
- TransformNation. Some excellent tips on working solo, particularly in the work freedom mindset category.
- Escape from Corporate America. The name says it all. A women-centric view on making the transition.
- Escape from Corporate America. No, this is NOT a typo ... these blogs have the exact same name. While I wouldn't take lessons in brand differentiation from either of these, the posts Pamela Skillings put forth are worth reading.
Enjoy the roundup -- and by all means if there are blogs you love to read on this very topic I invite you to share them in the comments.
The Paula G Company
Learn 5 Steps to Move from Fear to Freedom (free)
Follow BlogHer on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/BlogHer-28615
More Like This
Recent Posts by paulag01
Most Popular on BlogHer
In case you haven't heard a Oklahoma teen boy bragged about raping someone and no one is doing anything about it