BlogHer '10 Speaker Spotlight, August 3, 2010: Mastering Intellectual Property
By jes on August 03, 2010
BlogHer Original Post
Confused by the differences between copyright and trademark? Are you protecting your brand and intellectual property? Are you violating someone else's? If someone asked you to find a fair use image, could you? And what about defamation issues, like libel and slander? Are the lines drawn differently when you're talking about individuals vs. brands?
Before you flee to your favorite search engine, consider attending BlogHer’s legal matters session. We’ll explain it all, in an easy-to-understand way, in a session we’re calling: “Mastering Intellectual Property Law.”
Here’s the description:
Protect your work and yourself, respect others’ work and their privacy. This session will help you learn how the law impacts your efforts as a blogger. Latoicha Givens, founder of the IP law firm Phillips Givens, LLC, and legal activist Wendy Seltzer will focus on the nitty gritty of intellectual property law and other legal matters. We’ll discuss registering and protecting copyrights and trademarks, how to legally use others’ words and images, handling the privacy of readers who share their information with you, and the definitions of defamation, libel and slander. Learn about all of the above in theory...and see examples in practice
Meet the speakers:
Latoicha Phillips Givens is the founder of Phillips Givens, LLC, an IP Law firm. Her practice focuses on a number of communications/arts industries, among them Internet, New Media and Multimedia. She counsels clients on intellectual property, product endorsement, advertising, privacy and security issues in new media platforms, as well as privacy and social media policies. Latoicha also blogs at IPLAW101.com.
Wendy Seltzer is an attorney and law professor. She specializes in intellectual property, Internet law, online rights, information privacy and technology policy. She founded and leads the Chilling Effects Clearinghouse, helping Internet users understand their rights related to cease-and-desist letters, and regularly speaks and writes on copyright, trademark, patent, open source, privacy and the public interest online.
Do you have questions about intellectual property, and how it affects either a) your blog or (b) how you blog? Bring your questions and your experiences with IP Law to this session to hear from the experts and learn about changes you may need to implement on your site.
About the Speaker Spotlight Series: BlogHer is excited about our upcoming conferences this summer (yes, conferences, plural: BlogHer Business '10, White House Project Workshop and BlogHer '10 will all be taking place under one roof in New York City this August). Though we may still be a few months away, we figure it's never too early to begin introducing you to our speakers. Over the next many weeks, I'll randomly select a panel or two to highlight each Tuesday. Though the panels are randomly selected, our speakers are not -- we take great care in researching, considering and inviting speakers for each conference, with a special focus on featuring new and diverse voices. We hope you’ll learn a lot, think a lot and jump into lively conversations with these speakers!
- Passions Track: Fitness Blogging –- Motivate Yourself and Your Readers
- Professional Track: The FTC Guidelines: After A Year, Has Anything Changed?
- Job Lab: Get Hired - Networking with a Purpose via Social Media
- Change Agents: Radical Blogging Moms: Don't Even Think About Not Taking These Moms Seriously
- Personal Identities: Bringing Sex Out of the Closet
- Writing Lab: Good Blog Design - The Role of Layout in an Online Medium
- Change Agents: How to Start, Engage In and Moderate Civil Political Debate
- Geek Lab: Your Online Legacy: How to Control Your Digital Footprint
- Passions Track: This Year, You're In: Fashion Blogging is Serious Business
- Professional Track: The Mega Mindful Monetization Session
- Job Lab: Authenticity or just TMI? When Does Blogging the Personal on Your Professional Blog Hurt Your Brand?
- Personal Identities: Grief, Loss, Tragedy and Community on the Internet
- Writing Lab: Writing Inspiration - Stoke Your Creativity
- Geek Lab: Creating (or Massively Altering) a WordPress Theme
BlogHer '10 Speaker Spotlight, June 15, 2010 -- Your Online Legacy: How to Control Your Digital Footprint
BlogHer '10 Speaker Spotlight, June 1, 2010 -- Good Blog Design: The Role of Layout In an Online Medium
More Like This
Recent Posts by jes
Most Popular on BlogHer
November 12, 2015 - 3:30pm by Lori Luna
November 8, 2015 - 11:47am by Julie Ross Godar
November 7, 2015 - 7:31pm by BHF15LiveBlog
November 7, 2015 - 7:13pm by BHF15LiveBlog
November 7, 2015 - 6:20pm by BHF15LiveBlog
Recent Comments on Conferences
By Lori Luna