BlogHer '12 Voices of the Year Submissions Are Open!
By mrlady on February 23, 2012
BlogHer Original Post
Four years ago, a lone microphone stood on an empty stage in a ballroom in San Francisco. A crowd of BlogHer attendees sat waiting, not entirely sure for what, as Eden Kennedy walked out onto the stage and began what has now become one of the most eagerly anticipated events at the annual BlogHer conference -- the Voices of the Year Community Keynote.
Since the first keynote readings in 2008, 74 women and men have stood on a stage on a Friday afternoon and made us laugh, made us cry, made us think, and made us see. More than 200 bloggers have been honored -- for their amazing words, images, videos, and art. Today marks the day we begin the search for the bloggers who will make their mark on us all this year.
Nominations for the BlogHer ’12 Voices of the Year are now open!
Who can submit? Anyone! You can submit your best work from the past 12 months, and you can submit someone else’s work, too! Visit the nomination page to add your favorite work for the year, then visit the submission page to give your already-submitted favorites a hearty “thumbs-up!” Note: You must be logged into BlogHer.com to nominate or vote for a post, and can vote only once for each post.
Who are the Voices of the Year? We’ll honor up to 120 community members as a Voice of the Year, with one submission from each category qualifying as the “People’s Choice” honoree (this is where those thumbs-up count!). From that group, 15 fresh, new voices will be chosen by the judging committee to present their submission live on stage at the Voices of the Year Community Keynote in New York, on Friday, August 3rd. In addition, Visual honorees will also be recognized on stage at BlogHer ’12, and their work will be featured during the community keynote and at the Voices of the Year reception, immediately following the keynote.
No former community keynote presenter is eligible to present again, so this is always an opportunity for new voices to be heard. Anyone can be selected as an honoree, but to be chosen as a presenter on stage at the Voices of the Year Community Keynote, you must be a registered BlogHer ’12 attendee and not a past presenter.
What are the categories? This year, we’re offering six categories for submissions:
• Heart: Make us feel. Share with us your ups and downs, loves and losses…everything that makes you feel human, for better or worse.
Former tissue-necessitators Kate Inglis (’11), Bon Stewart (’11), Megan Smith (’08), and Alexandra Rosas (’11) curate this category.
• Humor: Make us laugh! Make us pee our pants, roll on the floor, laugh our…oh, you get it. Send us the funniest things you’ve seen, heard, read, Tumbled, Pinterest…ed? Pinterested… oh yes, it’s a verb now.
Judges and former giggle-makers include Amy Windsor (’10), Marinka (’10), MomoFali (’11), and Wendi Aarons (’09).
• Identity: Make us see you the way you see yourself. There is no one in the whole world quite like you, and we want to know where you came from, where you’re going, how you see the world and how it sees you back.
Past readers include Pauline Karwowski (’09), Faiqa Khan (’10), Darryle Pollack (’11), and Deb Rox (’08), along with Julie Ross Godar of BlogHer, who curate this category.
• OpEd: Make us think. It’s a political season, so things are a little extra-charged in the blogosphere. We want to feel those sparks! Make us listen, make us understand, make us question.
Judges and former status quo challengers include Karen Green (’10), Heather Barmore (’08), and Sue Bob Davis (’08), along with Denise Tanton of BlogHer.
• Parenting: Make us remember. Or forget. Either way, really. Parenting is a journey, and we want to hear all about your voyage. Maybe your story is about you, maybe it’s about your children, maybe it’s about the horrible TV shows they force you to endure or maybe it’s about enduring challenges, difficulties, or loss. Maybe it’s happy, maybe it’s sad, maybe it’s both or neither.
We want to hear it, all of it. Former Voices parents Jenni Chiu (’11), Lindsay Ferrier (’08), Stacey Conner (’11), Kristen Chase (’11), Black Hockey Jesus (’09), Deborah Goldstein ('10), and Yvonne Valtierra (’08) curate this category.
• Visuals: Make us see the world through your eyes. We firmly believe that voice is more than just spoken word. We want to hear your voice reflected in your videos, in your photographs, and in your artwork.
How it works: Submissions will remain open from today, February 14th, 2012, until 5pm Pacific, April 30th, 2012. You can nominate as many posts as you like during that time, and you can also give one thumb’s up to previously-nominated posts.(There is a one thumb’s up limit per post, per voter).
Shortly after April 30th, submissions go to the category judges, who will carefully review each and every one. Once the judges have worked their magic, the executive committee takes over, finalizing the selections. This year’s executive committee includes Elisa Camahort Page, Lisa Stone, Jory Des Jardins, Polly Pagenhart, myself (Shannon Carroll), and the beautiful mind that started it all, Eden Kennedy of Fussy.org.
The final selections for the ’12 Voices of the Year Community Keynote will be announced on May 31, 2012, on BlogHer.com. Afraid you’ll forget to check? Subscribe to our conference newsletters or our Conference RSS Feed so you don’t miss a beat!
Key points to remember:
• You must be logged in to nominate or vote for Voices of the Year.
• You can nominate as many posts as you like, either you own work or that of another person.
• Only one vote (thumbs-up) per post, per voter.
• Past presenters are ineligible to present again, but may be chosen as honorees.
• You must be a registered BlogHer ’12 attendee to be selected as a presenter.
• Any submission may contain audio, video, or photographic aspects. The visuals category is primarily for submissions that cannot be read aloud, and every category will accept submissions that contain visual elements. If you are unsure of what category to use, email us, Tweet us, or ask us on Facebook. We’re happy to help!
We can’t wait to see what you’ve got in store for us this year! Go show your favorite pieces some love, and nominate them now!
We can't wait to start reading,
for Elisa, Jory, Lisa and the entire BlogHer events team
More Like This
Recent Posts by mrlady
Most Popular on BlogHer
In case you haven't heard a Oklahoma teen boy bragged about raping someone and no one is doing anything about it
November 26, 2014 - 6:00am by The Daily Post
November 25, 2014 - 12:23pm by Elisa Camahort
November 24, 2014 - 4:00am by Rita Arens