From the BlogHer '14 Geek Bar: 9 Geeky Blogs to Follow
By Julie Ross Godar on July 07, 2014
BlogHer Original Post
One of the coolest BlogHer conference traditions is the Geek Bar, where you get hands-on help with everything you need to know to power, optimize, and manage your site, or learn about social media. If you're having trouble with a WordPress plugin or need to know the best way to set up analytics, we've got a smartypants to help you. Some of these smartypantses blog about tech and blogging, while others have blogs that set a great example for you to follow.
You may have read Luvvie Ajayi at her blog Awesomely Luvvie, where she blogs (hysterically) about pop culture. But she has another blog just for all the social media stuff. At Awesomely Techie, you can find WordPress tips and resources (her Geek Bar is all about WordPress plugins), as well as gadget and app recommendations and photography and social media how-tos.
- Follow Luvvie on Twitter
- Follow Luvvie on Facebook
- Follow Luvvie on Google +
- Follow Luvvie on Instagram
- Follow Luvvie on Pinterest
If you've seen Erin Gleeson's gorgeous blog (and cookbook), you'll know why she's the perfect person for a Photoshop Geek Bar. She's a longtime food photographer from New York who moved to a cabin in the woods of Northern California, and began shooting ethereally beautiful "photo illustrations" of her cooking that combine images, words, and a dash of magic.
- Follow The Forest Feast on Instagram
- Follow The Forest Feast on Facebook
- Follow The Forest Feast on Twitter
- Follow The Forest Feast on Pinterest
Jayne Heinrich's Geek Bar is all about how to track and optimize your blog's traffic and referrals—and it makes so much sense that someone who blogs about organization would have taught herself how to master analytics, which is all about finding patterns. Her blog is about optimizing her life as a working mother of two small children; follow it for organizational and eco-friendly tips and parenting ideas.
- Follow The Naptown Organizer on Twitter
- Follow The Naptown Organizer on Facebook
- Follow The Naptown Organizer on Instagram
- Follow The Naptown Organizer on Pinterest
Chloe Spencer is a 23-year-old entrepreneur who started her first company, NeoPetsFanatic.com, at age 14, and monetized her pageviews with Google AdSense at age 15. Now Chloe is an individual consultant for web development, SEO, social media, and content marketing. She'll be hosting a Geek Bar about Snapchat and other tools your tweens and teens may use.
Julie DeNeen's blog really lives up to its name. It's a treasure trove of amazingly thorough tutorials that help you navigate WordPress and keep your website purring like a kitten, along with sage advice about branding and social media strategy. She'll be leading a Geek Bar on WordPress best practices and lesser-known features.
- Follow Fabulous Blogging on Google+
- Follow Julie on Twitter
- Follow Julie on Facebook
- Follow Julie on Instagram
- Follow Fabulous Blogging on Pinterest
At The Aums, Christine Candelaria blogs about her life as a mother of four kids in Santa Cruz, California. But she doesn't limit herself to writing: Christine also does video, and she's hosting a vlogging session at the Geek Bar. Check out her hula lesson and the work she's done as an iVoice for iVillage.com.
- Follow The Aums on YouTube
- Follow The Aums on Twitter
- Follow The Aums on Facebook
- Follow The Aums on Pinterest
Stephan Spencer is the author of The Art of SEO and Google Power Search, and he's blogged professionally since 2004. He brings his SEO expertise to the Geek Bar to help you with an SEO review of your site.
- Follow Stephan on Twitter
- https://www.facebook.com/stephanspencerseo ">Follow Stephan on Facebook
- Follow Stephan on LinkedIn
Kerrie Mendoza is a busy mom of twins with a passion for travel—a combination which requires a great deal of organization. Follow her blog for family-friendly travel tips and reviews, stories about parenting multiples, and recipes. And if you have (or are planning) a new blog, drop in to her Geek Bar to get advice about organizing your blog in its very first year so that it thrives (and so you avoid headaches later on).
- Follow Family Food and Travel on Twitter
- Follow Family Food and Travel on Facebook
- Follow Family Food and Travel on Instagram
- Follow Family Food and Travel on Pinterest
- Follow Kerrie on Google+
Do you read a great geeky blog, or follow someone sharing helpful tips via social media? Share them in the comments!
More Like This
Recent Posts by Julie Ross Godar
Most Popular on BlogHer
December 4, 2014 - 5:06pm by JennaHatfield
November 26, 2014 - 6:00am by The Daily Post