BlogHers Act: Donate Now to Save Women's Lives
We've given you the facts, now it's time to do something
* Every year, 529,000 women die from pregnancy-related causes.
* Children who have lost their mothers are up to 10 more times more likely to die prematurely than those who haven’t.
* More than 80 per cent of maternal deaths worldwide are due to five direct causes: haemorrhage, sepsis, unsafe abortion, obstructed labour and hypertensive disease of pregnancy.
* Most maternal deaths (61 per cent) take place during labour, delivery or in the immediate post-partum period. Some 3.4 million newborns die within the first week of life.
As part of our BlogHers Act commitment to make a difference on the issue of maternal health, BlogHer has joined forces with Global Giving to help save women's lives and we need your help.
We've spent the last six months blogging about serious issues related to maternal health and now it's time to move to the next level. How many women's lives can we save with donations from the BlogHer community, between now and Mother's Day, May 11, 2008?
Update May 6, 2008:
BlogHer will be donating $1000 to the project that receives the most donations between now and Mother's Day and GlobalGiving will match those funds! Donate to your favorite project NOW.
BlogHer will also donate $500 to each of the other maternal health projects so all of these five projects will receive money from BlogHer.com
Update May 15 , 2008:
BlogHer donated $1000 to the Myanmar relief project and $200 to the other projects we're supporting, including the Half the Sky Earthquake Relief Fund which aids victims of the earthquake in China
Our Maternal Health Projects:
* Mother and Child Clinic in Nepal: $10 - 2 days' operating costs for the Clinic OR a year's worth of care for 5 women and children
* Help Afghan Women Deliver Healthy Babies Safely: $25 - 20 women will have improved quality of life through reproductive healthcare and education
* Ensure Healthcare for 40,000+ Displaced Darfurians: $25 - Trains 2 Traditional Birthing Attendants (includes 3 training sessions and training materials)
* Empower Women to End HIV/AIDS Stigma, South Africa: $50 - 2 women living with HIV/AIDS can receive counseling
* Noon Meal Improves Girls' Learning in Burkina Faso: $15 - Provides a noon meal for 50 students for one day.
Update May 6, 2008: We've added a project to provide relief to the Myanmar Cyclone Victims.
* Provide Emergency Relief: Myanmar Cyclone Victims: $10, $50, $100 or any donation will help!
Update May 15, 2008: We've extended our support of these projects and added a project that will help victims of the earthquake in China.
* Provide emergency shelter, food, and medical care for children orphaned or separated from their families due to the earthquake in China: $25, $50, $100 or any donation will help!
Take Action Now:
1) Grab a button or widget to place on your blog.
2) Share this information with your readers by blogging about maternal health, or this BlogHers Act initiative, or the individual project you're supporting.
3) Leave your link at the bottom of this post, using Mr Linky, so others can hear your thoughts on these issues. (We'll also be featuring many of you on BlogHer.com and in our newsletters.)
4) Donate to save women's lives, today.
Get the button code:
<a href="/bloghers-act-donate-now-save-womens-lives"><img src="/files/BlogHers%20Act%20Donate%20Now.gif" alt="BlogHers Act: Donate Now to Save Women's Lives" width="128" height="128" /></a>