Can I overcome all of the obstacles that I've build over the past 50 years to become the woman I want to be before I die?
By Maggie_at_50 on October 20, 2012
I look around, at my home, my yard, in the mirror, and I see heaps and piles of leftovers. There are left-over skis in the garage, left-over clothes from when I wore a size twelve in my closet, and 65 pounds of left-over fat weighing me down. Some days, usually after I've been on a trip, I think I can dig myself out of all this stuff; as if my history could be vanquished with the wave of some magic wand. I want to believe if I buy the correct vacuum or diet aid everything will be bright and happy again. Of course I really know that buying all that stuff in the past is part of what is burying me now.
Here are a few facts about me:
- Age 52
- Weight 201 lbs
- Height 5 ft 2 inches
- Health Issues: Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Obesity
- Married 28 years
- Husband is 66 years old and extremely disabled with COPD
- I am somewhat educated with a Master's Degree in IT.
- I had a successful career for 20 years that ended as a well paid director at a fairly large corporation.
- My last job ended almost four years ago. I was forced out and it was painful.
- I had a bit of a break down, and then my son suffered a psychotic break. I was heartbroken. I am still heartbroken.
- My husband suffered a rapid decline in his health and I spent almost three years living the rollercoaster ride of ambulances, emergency surgeries, living wills, and daily help mate.
- Somewhere in there, my daughter had a beautiful baby boy; I have been supporting them with my time and energy. I provide 3 to 4 days of daycare each week so that my daughter can attend school.
- I can afford not to work - but I am not wealthy
- I spend most of my time playing computer games
- I suffer from depression
My challenge is to begin to love myself, for the first time in my life. I must begin to truly take good care of myself. I want to laugh again. I want to dream and set goals. I want to trust life and myself. Not in the ways I did in my youth, no, not out of naivety. But in a truer, deeper, calming honest way, I want to heal.
More Like This
Recent Posts by Maggie_at_50
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Lori Luna
Sparkling ICE is a bold flavored sparkling water that truly delivers on taste and contains just the right amount of fizz. Read our bloggers' posts and get more details on how you can enter the Flavor Face Off plus find out more about the delicious flavors that Sparkling ICE has to offer. Read more
Most Popular on Wellness
Recent Comments on Wellness