Getting Started: Tips for On-the-Go Photography
By jennyonthespot on May 23, 2012
BlogHer Original Post
I'm gonna lay this baby out like a good sermon - 3 points, ya'll! Organization (ish), Preparedness (which is really the first cousin of organization), and Creativity ... all for the purpose of getting us out there and capturing the goodness of summer!
I'm a mom.
Due to above condition, I have more often than not, found myself unorganized and unprepared for awesome photo ops.
So, what is a an unorganized mom who loves to take pictures supposed to do???
Employ a simple, achievable plan to combat said unpreparedness!
My organizational strategy?
1) Two camera batteries for my DSLR. I always have a charged battery on hand, and my charger is always plugged in and ready to receive the powerless battery. This has cured a great deal of "OMG, THE BATTERY IS DEAD" grief.
2) Transfer pictures from camera to computer daily. For me, it's kind of like making one's bed every day. Except I don't make my bed everyday (shhh, don't tell my mom ... ). I like knowing if anything happens with the camera, I am covered. One time something DID happen. User error caused my card to reformat. But because I transfer daily, I only lost one day of pictures. I was still bummed, but it could have been worse.
3) Keep camera gear in one place. Some exceptions apply (see "mom" above). I keep gear in a big drawer in my office ... cords, the manual, and all the bits and pieces. This sounds obvious, but I didn't live that way for a long time. Just give it all a home so when you run out the door for a last-minute afternoon at the park, you will BE THE BOSS.
Now that we are organized ... we are 99% prepared, right?
This is how I stay prepared so I can capture summer fun at ANY moment (except the moments I am called to lick dripping ice cream off a cone or tie a shoe ...)
Speak softly and Carry a big purse. There are some fancy/spendy photo bags (I COVET), but I have not been able to justify the purchase of a legit camera bag-purse ... SO ... I carry big purses. Big camera ... big purse.
2) Be sure your bag has a DESIGNATED camera pocket. Goldfish crumbs in my purse do not bother me unless they make their way into my CAMERA.
By the way, I have found a fabulous red bag goes with eeeeehhhverything.
I do not usually carry all my camera gear ... just the camera and a pretty charged-up battery. That's prepared enough for me.
3) DO NOT underestimate the power of the camera phone! Overall, I prefer my DSL. However, if the Big Kahuna can't make the trip, the camera on most smart phones are TOTALLY LEGIT. Don't get hung-up on what gear you may or may not have. There's a book by Chase Jarvis, the title sums it up perfectly:
The Best Camera is the One That's With You!
If you have your phone with you, THEN YOU ARE PREPARED! I mean look ... I took this one with my phone:
*EXTRA SPECIAL SUMMER TIP FOR BEACH GOERS: Plastic. Baggie. Y'all!!! We frequent a local beach ... Which means SAND ... which means DANGER! In an effort to keep the sand where it belongs (not in my phone) I slip my phone in a plastic baggie to help protect my Precious. SAND IS OUR ENEMY!
See? Ain't no sand gonna take me (or my camera phone) down!
There are a TON of inspirational tips all over the web when it comes to photography. I want to share two of my personal faves.
One shapes my philosophy and approach, the other has given me some fun pictures with unique perspectives.
1) You have to MISS a great shot to GET a great shot. Me Ra Koh (Oh I adore that woman!) said that. Let me tell ya, TRUTH! I am learning photography is not just about how I handle the camera, but how I approach the subject. It's about the joy of capturing the life we are in ... not regretting the great moment I didn't catch on camera.
More Like This
Recent Posts by jennyonthespot
Most Popular on BlogHer
Sparkling ICE is a bold flavored sparkling water that truly delivers on taste and contains just the right amount of fizz. Read our bloggers' posts and get more details on how you can enter the Flavor Face Off plus find out more about the delicious flavors that Sparkling ICE has to offer. Read more