Just in Time for Fall: Caramel Apple Rice Krispies Treats
By Joanie @ Zagleft on October 08, 2013
Featured Member Post
These Rice Krispies Treats are made over for fall. I’ve taken the sweet cinnamon spice flavor found in an apple pie and combined it with the wonderfully rich taste of caramel apples and transformed traditional rice krispies treats into a new fall favorite…Caramel Apple Rice Krispies Treats.
It’s Fall, y’all!
If you live in Houston, this might be news to you. Many of us are still wearing shorts and sandals and it’s something I’ll never quite get used to.
85 degrees in October--yikes!
Image: Courtesy of Zagleft
Here’s what happens to me every year. The calendar turns from September to October and I immediately get into the fall mind-set. I bring out my beautiful fall wreath and hang it on the front door. I take out the fall place mats and table runners and place them around my house. I order my Yankee Candle pumpkin pie and salted caramel candles and I look longingly into my closet knowing I’m about 2 months away from wearing my cozy fall sweaters. Yes friends, October in Houston is still rather warm but that doesn’t keep me from cooking and baking all the flavors of the season.
A girl can dream can’t she??
These Rice Krispies treats are infused with the flavors of fall. There’s something about apple pies and caramel apples that evoke a warm feeling inside and those comforting flavors are packed into each of these caramel-topped squares.
Caramel Apple Rice Krispies Treats are so crazy good! You make them just like you would make traditional Rice Krispies treats…BUT…here’s the secret…
When the marshmallows are melting in the pot, I toss in some cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and ginger and blend it all in. As soon these apple pie spices mix with the marshmallows, you’ll immediately notice the intoxicating aroma come through. The mouthwatering smell reminds me of apple pies baking in the oven. But wait, we’re not done yet…
After you stir the Rice Krispies cereal into the marshmallows, add about a cup of chopped dried apples. Uh-huh…yeah!
Now you get the picture?
Amazing! But again, we’re not done…
After the Caramel Apple Rice Krispies Treats cool and you’ve cut them into squares, melt a package of Kraft Caramel Bits in a small pot and spoon a little of the warm, melted caramel over the top of each square.
Scatter a few pieces of the dried apples over the caramel and voila…Caramel Apple Rice Krispies Treats. These really are a delicious fall dessert and a fun spin on a traditional Rice Krispies treat.
Other recipes you might enjoy…
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows OR 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 5 1/2 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup chopped dried apples
- 1 11-ounce package Kraft Caramel Bits
- In a large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Add in the cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and ginger and stir until well blended. Remove from heat.
- Add the crispy rice cereal and the chopped dried apples and stir until well coated.
- Using wax paper or a buttered spatula evenly press mixture into a 13 x 9-inch pan coated with cooking spray or butter. Cool and cut into 2-inch squares.
- Place the caramel bits in a medium saucepan. Add 2 tablespoons of water and cook on medium-low heat 3 minutes or until caramel bits are completely melted, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Place a spoonful of the melted caramel on top of each rice krispies treat and spread the caramel with a knife.
- Top with additional chopped dried apple pieces, if desired.
Joanie Zisk writes a food, wine and family blog called ZagLeft. You can read more from her there.
More Like This
Recent Posts by Joanie @ Zagleft
Most Popular on BlogHer
Save time, money and space with the FoodSaver® Vacuum Sealing System! AND it keeps food fresh up to 5x longer! Read our bloggers' experiences with the FoodSaver® System and see why you should get one for your home. Plus get a chance to win $100 Visa gift card! Read more
Most Popular on Quick and Easy
Recent Comments on Quick and Easy
By Just Beet It
By Just Beet It