Caramel Macchiato Spritz Cookies
By DaydreamerDesserts on December 06, 2012
BlogHer Original Post
Today we are kicking off yet another year of the Daydreamer Desserts December cookie series. Time for me to whip up one batch of cookies after another with my classic spin on them and share them all with you. I'll make as many as I can while still trying to churn out a fabulously indulgent cocktail post every week.
I was transported to the holiday mindset this year the moment I turned on Pandora and switched from my Spanish Electronica station over to the Christmas station I created last year, and started singing along to Burl Ives and Mariah Carey (isn't it strange that they're in the same category?) instead of Moenia and Belanova. It's that time of year again!
We've managed to start a few holiday traditions in the Daydreamer Desserts household. I hope to put an end to this first one this year. A couple of years ago, we started out opening just one present right after dinner on Christmas Eve. It was supposed to be a sneak peek at what's to come. Well, as fate and irresistible anticipation would have it, my teenage boys thought that peek was just too tempting, and every year we allowed more and more presents to be opened on Christmas Eve. Here's hoping this year I can convince my boys to wait till Christmas morning.
One tradition we will most certainly continue is that, once Thanksgiving is over, we transform the house for Yuletide. That includes dressing the tree, putting up the lights on the house, and making Christmas cookies for our friends and neighbors. I tend to make about five or six different cookies every year.
I got my inspiration for my first cookie by reflecting on one of my favorite hot beverages. A Caramel Macchiato, the perfect balance of espresso and milk. The foam and the creamy caramel drizzle make it a truly indulgent treatperfect as can be. Well, the quickest way I could get my fix was to inject this magic concoction into a cookie. I trust these melt-in-your-mouth cookies will give you the pep you need to get through the holiday season, as I surely need them while baking the holy nights away.
Caramel Macchiato Spritz Cookies
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 7 mins
Total time: 22 mins
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon caramel liqueur (optional)
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine butter, sugar, vanilla extract, espresso powder, and caramel liqueur (if using) into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Mix on medium speed until light and fluffy, approx 2 minutes.
- Add egg and mix just until incorporated.
- Sift flour and salt into a medium bowl, then add into creamed butter. Stir just until dough is formed.
- Without refrigerating roll dough into small cylinders, then transfer them onto your cookie press and form desired shapes onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until set and bottoms are golden brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
If using dark cookie sheets, baking time may need to be reduced by 1 minute or so.
I made these twice, and the first time I drizzled them with a caramel glaze/icing. The second time, we were invited to a friend's house for dinner and I was pressed for time, so I simply drizzled them with store-bought caramel sauce (the same type they use to top caramel macchiatos at the local coffee shop), and I have to say I enjoyed the second batch much more. I would however, recommend not topping the cookies unless you plan on serving them within an hour or two from the time they are drizzled with the sauce.
For more recipes in the 12 Days of Cookies series, follow along on Twitter with the hashtag #BlogHerCookies.
More Like This
Recent Posts by DaydreamerDesserts
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Melissa Ford
Most Popular on Food
Green & Black's Organic Chocolate Reviews & Sweepstakes
We placed Green & Black’s Organic Chocolate to the test! Check out these delicious chocolate recipes and recreate them using exceptional, fairtrade ingredients. Plus get a chance to win $100 cash equivalent and a chocolate prize pack.