Carrot Ginger Soup
Recipe: Carrot Ginger Soup
- 4 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped ginger (about 3 2" long roots)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8-10 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup orange juice
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 3 minutes. Add carrot and cook 5-7 minutes, until beginning to tenderize. Add ginger, salt and pepper. Cook 5 more minutes.
- Add about 8 cups chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, partially covered, for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Stir the soup every now and then and add more stock if necessary.
- When carrots are tender, remove pan from heat and puree soup. You can do this with a hand blender or in batches in a regular blender. Stir in orange juice. If soup is too thick stir in more chicken stock, up to 10 cups.
- Season again to taste with salt and pepper.