Challenge 2012: A Second-Hand Year
2012 is almost upon us and I know I am not the only one clinging to hope for the new year, desperately dreaming of the things that may come. For me, the year holds exciting plans: moving in with my sister, travelling for clinical rotations for school, a white-coat ceremony where I get to finally feel like a doctor, and potentially even an engagement and wedding planning! (Shhh..at 26, this bloggirl is still a little superstitious).
With the plans come new challenges - eating healthy and exercising on the road and when working 60 hours a week, and, of course, finances. So, I've come up with a plan, a personal challenge, if you will.
- For one ENTIRE YEAR (meaning ending on December 31, 2012), I cannot buy luxury items for myself unless they are second-hand, or DIY, meaning I made them myself. (Sorry Etsy!)
- Exceptions to the rule: underwear, swimwear, socks, lingerie, and gym shoes/clothing - I have an issue with wearing things that other people sweat in. I am trying to stock up on these things via Christmas gift cards, so I can go the whole year without buying anything new.
- What qualifies as a 'luxury item': Clothing, shoes, housewares, accessories, books, jewelry and purses/bags.
- Things that are NOT 'luxury items': food, bath products, school supplies and car items.
- I can accept gifts but I can only give things that are homemade by me or found second-hand.
- Where do you get second-hand items? Thrift stores, antique shops, swap meets, flea markets, Craigslist and friends/family. I'm sure I'll get creative as time goes on
- When there are items that I need, I'll post about the challenge, where and how I met it. Also because I am a shopaholic, I will post anything unique and fun that I find along with pictures. And, if someone has a particular challenge they want me to take on, I take requests!
What are your challenges for this year? Any special resolutions?
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
Recent Comments on Green